The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
This is posted on another site also but am putting it here also to get more input.
Here's the scenario-- Runner on second. Hard hit up the middle to the right of the pitcher. Pitcher and shortstop both go for ball since it is hit sharply and either one may have a play. At the last split second, the pitcher snags the ball off the ground. At the same time there is a collision that involves the runner and the shortstop. What is this? Interference since if the pitcher hadn't gotten the ball the shortstop could of had a play? Obstruction since she didn't make the play and obstructed the runner? Or just call it a wreck and let the play go? Thanks, Dave
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
Can't be a wreck - both players do not have the "right" to be in that particular spot at the same time. Since F6 is not in the act of fielding a ball(there's no play for F6 to make), it's not interference. Gonna have to call this obstruction and most likely put the runner back on second - F1 is moving to right and will have the runner as an easy putout at third.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Steve, how about if the pitcher goes ahead and throws to first for that out? That out stands as an out, correct? and then you would have to judge if you thought the runner from second would have made it to third had there been no obstruction? Dave
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

You are both assuming the runner may be thrown out at 3B. You cannot send a runner back if she advances safely.

This is probably one where you signal the delayed dead-ball and watch how the pitcher responds with the ball. If F1 comes up throwing to 1B and I believe was totally oblivious to the runner, I may award the runner 3B if I believe she would have reached it safely had no obstruction occurred. Of course, that is unless I judge the runner didn't have a SBCIH, than I would probably leave her at 2B.

Definitely, a HTBT play.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Wink

Gotta go with my Mafia man. But, I answered this on Gary's board with obstruction on the SS and runner goes to 3rd. But, now that I think on it, it's a HTBT.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dave,
Can't be a wreck - both players do not have the "right" to be in that particular spot at the same time. Since F6 is not in the act of fielding a ball(there's no play for F6 to make), it's not interference. Gonna have to call this obstruction and most likely put the runner back on second - F1 is moving to right and will have the runner as an easy putout at third.
On the wreck I definiately agree with Steve, It can't
be. Not to sure I can see obstruction however. To
visualize a play that F1 and F6 have an opportunity to field
a hard hit ball up the middle to F1's right, I would
feel that R1 was sorta, kinda, running in towards the two
fielders and probably slightly out of a norm path. Therefore,
I would lend more towards interference. OMHO

Most surely a HTBT play.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Most surely a HTBT play.

For those of use that don't know - What is HTBT?

in the dark-
Kent
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Kent,

Had to be there.

Don't fret - we're all usually in the dark at one time or another.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kchamp

What is HTBT?
Had to be there.

On interference, you can only protect one fielder, regardless of how many might have a play. Since F1 made the play, de facto she is the one protected. It is therefore most definitely not interference unless you rule that F6 would have made the play had she not been interfered with and that F1 fielded the ball only because F6 was taken out by R1.

As to where you place R1, I agree - it depends - HTBT.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Cool No wreck, ship

I agree with the others here. No train wreck, no interference, obstruction on F6. Since F1 fielded the ball, F6 could not be a protected fielder. ( I can see no way for F6 to beat F1 to the ball unless she was playing waaay in, in which case there shouldn't have been a collision in the first place. )

My disagreement here is on where to place the runner. I think R1 should get 3rd even if she was out by the proverbial mile. Here is my reasoning, since R1 collided with F6, there is no way to tell how much farther along the base path she would have been without the collision and more importantly what affect that added distance would have had on the subsequent play. Maybe she could have slid around the tag, or maybe her imminent presence at 3rd would have caused F5 to momentarily glance away and misplay the ball, or cause F1 to rush the throw and throw the ball away. For all anyone knows, this runner might have ended up scoring. Since I don't have a window into alternate reality, and can't predict whether or not any of these possibilities would have happened, my tendancy is to give the runner all benefit of the doubt and award 3rd in this case.

JMO,
SamC
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dave,
On the wreck I definiately agree with Steve, It can't
be. Not to sure I can see obstruction however. To
visualize a play that F1 and F6 have an opportunity to field
a hard hit ball up the middle to F1's right, I would
feel that R1 was sorta, kinda, running in towards the two
fielders and probably slightly out of a norm path. Therefore,
I would lend more towards interference. OMHO

Most surely a HTBT play.

glen
Glen,

Remember, the obstruction call isn't to give away free bases, but to protect the runner from being put out due to a fielder impeding her. There is no question the fielder isn't protected, by rule. And it wouldn't exactly be fair to tell a runner knocked off stride, to the ground or whatever, tough noogies.

Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation in a college softball game about 13 years ago. The ball was hit right up the middle, and F6 moved in to try for the ball (this SS was a great hustler, and tried for almost everything),causing a collision (minor bumping) between her and R2. I signalled delayed dead ball. The pitcher made the throw to 3B, and F5 tagged R2. I then called time, and awarded R2 the base due to the obstruction. F6 argued that she had the right-of-way because she was making an attempt at the ball. I told her no way, the ball was hit directly to the pitcher, and that it wasn't her play. She gave me a little smile, and said "yeh". I had worked many of her school's games, and we had a good rapport, so there was no argument. The coach never came out to complain either.

Bob
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump

Glen,

Remember, the obstruction call isn't to give away free bases, but to protect the runner from being put out due to a fielder impeding her. There is no question the fielder isn't protected, by rule. And it wouldn't exactly be fair to tell a runner knocked off stride, to the ground or whatever, tough noogies.
After reviewing the REPLAY and etc. etc.
I probably ehh...gulp...would go with....OBSTRUCTION,

eeek........eeek he's been bought. ,

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
You're right, I was assuming that the play would be made on the obstructed runner - just the way I pictured it developing.

Sam,
A lot of what goes into deciding where to place the runner is just how much ground/time did she lose due to the ostruction. My rough guideline begins with minor bump or veer by the runner - that cost two strides as I see it. It goes up from there.