The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   2008 NCAA Rulebook (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/40130-2008-ncaa-rulebook.html)

SRW Wed Dec 05, 2007 06:00pm

2008 NCAA Rulebook

It's available on NCAA's website in PDF format here.

greymule Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51pm

Thanks, SRW.

I see that they lowered the top of the strike zone to be more in line with what we actually call. No longer the forward armpit, but the bottom of the batter's sternum (for the top of the ball).

The NCAA says that this lowers the top of the zone about 5 inches. I guess it does, on paper.

CecilOne Fri Dec 07, 2007 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
Thanks, SRW.

I see that they lowered the top of the strike zone to be more in line with what we actually call. No longer the forward armpit, but the bottom of the batter's sternum (for the top of the ball).

The NCAA says that this lowers the top of the zone about 5 inches. I guess it does, on paper.

Oh good, I'm glad they picked something visible. :rolleyes:

CecilOne Fri Dec 07, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Thanks, SRW.

Have you really been giving up that 5 inches of strike zone? :confused:

bkbjones Fri Dec 07, 2007 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
Have you really been giving up that 5 inches of strike zone? :confused:

I have been.

In 10U and 12U B ... and reallllllllllllllly bad NFHS games. Many of those have an additional 5 inches at the top AND the bottom AND the sides

greymule Fri Dec 07, 2007 04:18pm

Have you really been giving up that 5 inches of strike zone?

If by giving up you mean ignoring, yes, in college games. The new rule will not change the way I (or other umps I know) have been calling strikes. The NCAA practically admits that the new wording was to bring to book in line with reality.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Dec 07, 2007 05:13pm

Quote:

If by giving up you mean ignoring, yes, in college games. The new rule will not change the way I (or other umps I know) have been calling strikes. The NCAA practically admits that the new wording was to bring to book in line with reality.

Come on, where's your spirit.

I cannot wait until a coach comes out and wants an umpire to show them where the batter's sternum is located "in his/her judgment".

Better call a lawyer before accommodating the request ;)

argodad Fri Dec 07, 2007 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
I have been.

In 10U and 12U B ... and reallllllllllllllly bad NFHS games. Many of those have an additional 5 inches at the top AND the bottom AND the sides

Nose to toes, box to box. ;)

greymule Fri Dec 07, 2007 05:46pm

I cannot wait until a coach comes out and wants an umpire to show them where the batter's sternum is located "in his/her judgment".

I'm just thinking—I could become famous, and I wouldn't have to shoot up a shopping mall in Omaha to do it:

"You wanna know where the sternum is, Coach? OK, batter, I'll just lift your shirt a moment—right there, Coach. Tuck it in now, batter."

Last year, in a college game, when a girl trying for a double realized belatedly that the throw was coming in fast to 2B, she executed an awkward slide and sort of dropped on her rear end. She made it safely, but then she lay on the ground in pain. Her coach came out and asked her if she could wiggle her toes, etc., and she finally said, "I'm OK. It's just my butt." So I suggested to the coach that he simply "rub it" for her, and he put out his hands with wrists together as if to say, "Put the 'cuffs on."

socalumps Fri Dec 07, 2007 06:34pm

Quote:

Who is this "the NCAA" of which you speak?

socalumps Fri Dec 07, 2007 06:36pm

Quote:

Thanks, SRW.

Who from the NCAA is saying this? Is this a quote?

greymule Fri Dec 07, 2007 09:23pm

NCAA stands for National Collegiate Athletic Association. It oversees most college softball, which I have umpired now for several years.

The 2008 Rule Book from the NCAA is saying this, and the following is the quote, from pages 6 and 7:

The other change deemed most significant is the redefinition of the strike zone. In an effort to lower the zone slightly and provide a clear, well-defined upper limit, the committee has rewritten the rule to read: “The area above home plate between the bottom of the batter’s sternum and the top of her knees when she assumes her natural batting stance. When the top of the ball is on or within the horizontal plane and either side of the ball is on or within the vertical plane of the strike zone, a strike is called unless the ball touches the ground before reaching home plate.” This change from the former top edge of the zone at the forward armpit will lower the zone approximately five inches and is in response to overwhelming feedback from coaches through the national survey process and input provided to committee members. This change also brings this text into alignment with the diagram at the end of Rule 11.

socalumps Fri Dec 07, 2007 09:39pm

Quote:

NCAA stands for National Collegiate Athletic Association. It oversees most college softball, which I have umpired now for several years.

The 2008 Rule Book from the NCAA is saying this, and the following is the quote, from pages 6 and 7:

The other change deemed most significant is the redefinition of the strike zone. In an effort to lower the zone slightly and provide a clear, well-defined upper limit, the committee has rewritten the rule to read: “The area above home plate between the bottom of the batter’s sternum and the top of her knees when she assumes her natural batting stance. When the top of the ball is on or within the horizontal plane and either side of the ball is on or within the vertical plane of the strike zone, a strike is called unless the ball touches the ground before reaching home plate.” This change from the former top edge of the zone at the forward armpit will lower the zone approximately five inches and is in response to overwhelming feedback from coaches through the national survey process and input provided to committee members. This change also brings this text into alignment with the diagram at the end of Rule 11.

Thanks!!

I didn't know if you were referring to the SUIP or the Softball Rules Committee (rule book) as your source of info.

greymule Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:10pm

And you obviously don't know who socalumps is.

Nor do I care. I figured him, apparently correctly, for a sandbagger.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Dec 08, 2007 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
:D
HTML Code:

Just wondering what level of NCAA ball you have been umpiring for several years.

And you obviously don't know who socalumps is.

Thanks again for the laugh :)

I took it to be tongue-in-cheek; sounded like Willie or Dani (or both) to me.