The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Calling coaches and players by first names

At our HS association meeting yesterday we discussed the article on pp. 4-5 of the Winter NFHS Officials' Quarterly. The author suggests calling coaches and players by their first name whenever possible. That contradicts what I've been taught and always done. I don't care if it's my next door neighbor, on the field he's "Coach Smith." And I sure don't want the coach yelling from the 3B coaching box, "Ah come on, Larry!"

How do you do it / teach it in your area?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I always just call them "Coach." I know most of the local coaches by name, but on the field they are "Coach." I believe it establishes the desired business relationship and conveys a certain measure of respect for their position. And, it is very easy for me to remember!
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's "Coach" or "Sir" from me... and expected that it's Blue, Ump, Sir, whatever... but not my name from them. I've actually corrected coaches who have called me my name ... "Coach, please call me Blue or Ump out here on the field."
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

so you would rather be called some color than your God given name?

That to me is disrespectful more than calling me by name and it's not even close
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I do not want players, coaches or even fans calling me by ANY name, first, last, middle or nick.

An umpire's name is Sir, Mr. Umpire, ump, Blue or "Hey, man". Call me "Umpsie" and you may end up with a warning.

For any official or any sport, display of personal familiarity is a curse and add absolutely not positive aspects to the game the individual has be assigned to officiate.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
so you would rather be called some color than your God given name?

That to me is disrespectful more than calling me by name and it's not even close
Anyone besides me notice the irony here?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Anyone besides me notice the irony here?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I read the article and have some mixed feelings about the authors points.

I will call a coach by first name, but only if I have a relationship with both coaches involved in the contest. I'm damn sure not going to introduce myself to a coach I don't know with a "Good afternoon, Coach. My name is Andy", and go over to the other coach that I do know with a "Hey, Joe! How are ya?, Good to see you!"

I don't mind being called by name on the field, I guess that is just a personal preference.

As I have started doing more college level ball the last few years, I have noticed that the college coaches seem to like calling the umpires by name. I think they do it for just the reasons the author of the article suggests; they think is establishes a more personal relationship and your calls will go their way more often.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Calling a coach or player by any name other than their position (coach, #9, or short stop etc.) is just asking for trouble.
It lends itself to an easy claim of us showing favoritism towards one team/player/coach over the other.
I have always been taught that the best thing to call a coach is "Coach or Sir or Ma'am".
Players are always addressed by their position or their jersey number.
In turn the participants should only call you Sir, umpire, heck I will even accept Blue. I do remember when a coach calling you Blue was a sure way to be on the smelly end of the stick for him.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
Calling a coach or player by any name other than their position (coach, #9, or short stop etc.) is just asking for trouble.
It lends itself to an easy claim of us showing favoritism towards one team/player/coach over the other.
I have always been taught that the best thing to call a coach is "Coach or Sir or Ma'am".
Players are always addressed by their position or their jersey number.
In turn the participants should only call you Sir, umpire, heck I will even accept Blue. I do remember when a coach calling you Blue was a sure way to be on the smelly end of the stick for him.
I'm in complete agreement with scott. Or... Blue. Even if both coaches are great friends of yours, it doesn't paint a picture of impartiality and opens you up to avoidable criticism. I *might* use a player or coach's first name if they're not a part of the game I'm working, but I also try to limit my chatter during games.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:59am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I do not want players, coaches or even fans calling me by ANY name, first, last, middle or nick.

An umpire's name is Sir, Mr. Umpire, ump, Blue or "Hey, man". Call me "Umpsie" and you may end up with a warning.

For any official or any sport, display of personal familiarity is a curse and add absolutely not positive aspects to the game the individual has be assigned to officiate.

IrishMafia:

I agree with you completely, BUT more importantly is I don't care what they call me as long as they don't call me late to dinner.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Call me "Umpsie" and you may end up with a warning.
If I got called that, I'd probably be too busy laughing my tail off to issue a warning.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:49am
Ref Ump Welsch

If I got called "Umpsie" by a female coed player, I might be warning her for her phone number afterwards!

A male player calls me that, an advice to enhance his "caveman" vocabulary.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
A male player calls me that, an advice to enhance his "caveman" vocabulary.
Nah, just send him a candygram. Mongol like candy!

Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am in somewhat of a unique position because I am a deputy JO commissioner, so I know just about every coach. I help teach the ACE classes, and will conduct them for an organization if need be in order to spread the word in addition to opening the floor to questions about rules and umpiring.

On the field, if I know both coaches and they know me, I personally don't have a problem being addressed by name -- as long as it's mine. For instance, my name is not a variation of Richard Cranium. I do have a problem with "Hey John, where was that pitch?" or something else from long distance. I will be addressed in a professional manner, and will address them in a professional manner.

If I do not know both coaches (know one but not the other) everyone will be coach. They can call me ump or blue. I am proud to be addressed by either. Umpires have worn blue for over 100 years, and I am most proud to carry on one of the finer traditions of sports officiating. (Thank God we don't have to wear ties.)

I don't have any kind of problem with umpires only addressing coaches as coach.

It's also important to "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." If I am out of town and fortunate enough to be working some kind of tournament, everyone will be coach -- even if it's my Uncle Bob coaching one of the teams or whatever.

Please note that one of the big criticisms of me is that I "schmooze" too much with some of these people. However, when I am not on the field I am out of my uniform, and may be acting in some other capacity like filling in for the TD while he takes a lunch break or goes to get us a couple orders of Ezell's Chicken (as featured on Oprah -- she has it flown in from SEA to Chitown).

If you use names, you may also be considered a schmoozer, so be warned...