The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Infield Fly (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/38517-infield-fly.html)

drh898 Fri Sep 28, 2007 01:06pm

Infield Fly

Bases 1 & 2 occupied, 1 out, batter hits pop fly to ss. PU calls "infield fly, batter is out". Runner on 2nd thinks there is 2 out and runs to third while ball in in air. SS unitentionaly drops ball, then steps on 2nd.

Question - does runner on 2nd need to tag up, therfore is out or is runner safe at 3rd?

Mountaineer Fri Sep 28, 2007 01:10pm

I think this exact senario has recently been discussed ad naseum - check out this thread.

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...ht=infield+fly

JPRempe Fri Sep 28, 2007 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drh898
Bases 1 & 2 occupied, 1 out, batter hits pop fly to ss. PU calls "infield fly, batter is out". Runner on 2nd thinks there is 2 out and runs to third while ball in in air. SS unitentionaly drops ball, then steps on 2nd.

Question - does runner on 2nd need to tag up, therfore is out or is runner safe at 3rd?

If there's no catch, then why would you have to tag as a runner?

Simple answer is that you can advance at your own risk in this situation. R1 is safe at 3B since the SS never caught the ball.

NCASAUmp Fri Sep 28, 2007 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drh898

Dropped fly ball = runner can haul butt at their own risk. So no, there's no tag-up needed. Appeal = denied.

Dholloway1962 Sat Sep 29, 2007 05:35pm

Another "wrinkle" I had once...runner going from 2nd to 3rd interferes with the SS catching the fly ball. Double Play, batter out on IF and runner out for Interference. Gotta love those kinds of plays!

greymule Sun Sep 30, 2007 09:16pm

Another "wrinkle" I had once...runner going from 2nd to 3rd interferes with the SS catching the fly ball. Double Play, batter out on IF and runner out for Interference. Gotta love those kinds of plays!

Too bad the runner from 1B wasn't also running, or you could have called it intentional interference to break up a double play. Then you'd have had a triple play.

JPRempe Mon Oct 01, 2007 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962

I had a similar play last week, only R1 running from 2B to 3B literally clipped the SS when he was making the throw to 1B to retire the B/R. R1 could have easily avoided the contact, so I rung him up...

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 01, 2007 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPRempe
I had a similar play last week, only R1 running from 2B to 3B literally clipped the SS when he was making the throw to 1B to retire the B/R. R1 could have easily avoided the contact, so I rung him up...

Why was he trying to retire BR? BR was already out on the IFF.

JPRempe Mon Oct 01, 2007 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Why was he trying to retire BR? BR was already out on the IFF.

I mean a similar interference call, not an IFF call.

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 01, 2007 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPRempe
I mean a similar interference call, not an IFF call.

Ah ... so you had a similar play in that it was nothing like the situation we are discussing. I get it. :) (Sarcasm fully in play - I'm not really slamming you.)

JPRempe Mon Oct 01, 2007 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Ah ... so you had a similar play in that it was nothing like the situation we are discussing. I get it. :) (Sarcasm fully in play - I'm not really slamming you.)

Exactly! :D

There are times when I type something, and it looks nothing like what I was thinking. I guess typing 120wpm will do that to you...