The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   It's getting scary out there ... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/36927-its-getting-scary-out-there.html)

MNBlue Thu Jul 26, 2007 09:30am

It's getting scary out there ...

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/239062

greymule Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:15am

This was an under-8 soccer game. At that age, they barely know which direction to go. Whenever I think things have hit rock bottom, something like this happens.

DaveASA/FED Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:19pm

You make it sound like 8U should be calm? I think it is the worst age, you have a group of parents that have NO clue about rules, only the ones they have known their whole lives....yep the myths! I was UIC of a local rec tourney 8U on one diamond 12U on two others. The most excitement was the 8U field.....had one coach and two parents in my face over a girl overrunning first and turning left....they taged her she should have been out. I saw the play my umpire ruled it perfectly, no attempt to advance runner is safe at 1st. Now I was told how wrong that was and how mistaken we were you HAVE to turn right or you are out if tagged. I informed them I would go get the ASA book if they would like to read it. "I don't care what the book says you are wrong" well that was the end of discussion.....but that is the mind set of these individuals.....crazy people, those kids were 6-8 years old for goodness sake.....sad, really sad!

SRW Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
...had one coach and two parents in my face over a girl overrunning first and turning left....

Assuming the coach protested the call, and you were called to settle the protest...why would you as the UIC be discussing rule interpretations with parents?

sargee7 Thu Jul 26, 2007 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Assuming the coach protested the call, and you were called to settle the protest...why would you as the UIC be discussing rule interpretations with parents?

If he was the tournament UIC and outside the fence and the parents were outside the fence, probably to get them shut the f*** up.

DaveASA/FED Thu Jul 26, 2007 02:58pm

Well it happened like this if you really want to know....younger umpire on field made perfect call, but so much complaining she looked to me, just looked and I gave her a thumbs up shaking my head yes. Well then coach came out she told them her ruling and they said she was wrong she said if you would like me to I will check with the UIC he is right there....so when she said yes I stepped forward told them it was the correct call, coach was upset, I told her that is how it is lets let the kids play. As i stepped back outside of the diamond a few minutes later a parent came up to talk to me, I am a somewhat social person so I told them the ruling, especially since the stands are on the end of the fence I knew he coudl not have heard the discussion on the field, that is when he went from calm discussion to pi**ed off, and then I went from social to doing what Sargee suggested....;)

But to answer your question I try my best to be completely unnoticed as much as possible when I UIC and I don't approach fans to tell them the rules, calm them down, assist in throwing them out yes, but not to shoot the breeze over rules....but if someone approaches me and I have time then I will attempt to discuss something with them as long as they are civil.

Edit: For the record I was so proud of my 16 year old umpire for how she handled this situation, remained calm and confident in the face of very upset adults (well people over 18)!!

CecilOne Fri Jul 27, 2007 09:04am

A common example of coaching technique being seen as a rule. Many coaches will teach players to turn right to avoid tag outs, and then they and their "parents" assume that is a rule.

Dakota Fri Jul 27, 2007 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
I informed them I would go get the ASA book if they would like to read it. "I don't care what the book says you are wrong" ...

We have one participant of this very board who has the same attitude...

Steve M Fri Jul 27, 2007 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Tom,
Who has that snorkel - y'all keep arguing with him rather than ignoring him.

SRW Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Ok, after cleaning a mouthful of bran muffin and a sip of coffee off my monitor, I'm ready to go back to work. Thank you. :D

CecilOne Fri Jul 27, 2007 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Ok, after cleaning a mouthful of bran muffin and a sip of coffee off my monitor, I'm ready to go back to work. Thank you. :D

If you weren't so far west, you would have been finished. :)