The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Will ASA legalize metal

for JO next season? Does anyone have a clue? If the girls are wearing metal cleats in H.S play next spring are they going to be willing to give them up for summer ball?

WMB
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
for JO next season? Does anyone have a clue? If the girls are wearing metal cleats in H.S play next spring are they going to be willing to give them up for summer ball?

WMB
If they do, I hope the council has enough sense to keep it at the 18U level.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
If they do, I hope the council has enough sense to keep it at the 18U level.
Do you think ASA could legalize them for any level w/o legalizing for the ex-baseball dominated AA?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Do you think ASA could legalize them for any level w/o legalizing for the ex-baseball dominated AA?
I admit to not paying any attention to the legal / illegal equipment requirements for adult slow pitch, but a quick reading of the rule (ASA 3-6-G) says metal cleats ARE legal for adult slow pitch except for co-ed and senior divisions. Is this correct?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

WMB
Well, I obviously have no insider information or any clue what the discussions on this leading up to the ASA meetings are, but since there were ASA reps (I assume) at the NFHS rules meetings, I would assume some people are at least discussing whether the issue needs to be addressed.

If it is not, at the top age levels of girls fastpitch, then, even more divergence will occur. We will have Fed with the metal cleats, and with some states moving to 43'. We will have ASA with no metal cleats and 43' at 18G only. We will have several others (AFA, etc.) with whatever they decide on metal and 43' at all 18s.

Seemingly, all of this is caused by mostly "outside" influences: NCAA, international rules, boys baseball, etc. Nothing wrong with that, especially, but for the good of the sport, I hope they start converging again soon.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I admit to not paying any attention to the legal / illegal equipment requirements for adult slow pitch, but a quick reading of the rule (ASA 3-6-G) says metal cleats ARE legal for adult slow pitch except for co-ed and senior divisions. Is this correct?
I believe that is correct, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Most local leagues ban them for any level of play, and in the leagues that I call, this is the case. As such, I've never really concerned myself with that detail, since that's all I call.

The risks for metal cleats in rec league outweigh the advantages. My sister's ex-boyfriend got his hand spiked in an unlimited-arch SP rec game. It was one of the nastiest things I've seen in a long time.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Tue Jul 24, 2007 at 09:52am. Reason: Darn typos.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
What? Spikes are legal for all ASA play except JO, Co-Ed and Seniors. Always have been since I began umpiring softball.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
What? Spikes are legal for all ASA play except JO, Co-Ed and Seniors. Always have been since I began umpiring softball.
OK, I forgot it was a local rule.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking for THIS voting member, I would vote to allow metal spikes on any JO age group pitching from 43'. If 18A and 16A aren't capable of pitching from 43', they aren't capable of safely wearing metal cleats.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Speaking for THIS voting member, I would vote to allow metal spikes on any JO age group pitching from 43'. If 18A and 16A aren't capable of pitching from 43', they aren't capable of safely wearing metal cleats.
And a 13 y.o. boy is?

But, he is pitching from 60'. Maybe that makes him a little more capable!

WMB
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And a 13 y.o. boy is?

But, he is pitching from 60'. Maybe that makes him a little more capable!

WMB
When I was 13, I was already 5'11", pitched from a 50' mound and went bowling with a 15 lb ball.

However, in my opinion, metal cleats should not be allowed for players under 18. I never needed them, so why should they? To me, they're nothing more than a status symbol (being a big shot).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I don't agree with linking these two - they are addressing unrelated things.

I do wish they would all get it the same, though (on both issues).