The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
never seen this before

ASA Class A State JO ball. Team is batting and has two runners on. I am PU and coach comes up to me and says that the girl that should be up to bat has left the field and he has no available subs. They take the out in her vacated spot. Third out. He then puts 8 players on the field for defense. After the inning is over a fan comes up to him and tells him he could have placed his DP on the field at the same time as his Flex. He hadn't realized that he could have done this. First of all this would be legal correct? Put nine on defense and take an out everytime the girl that lefts spot came up on offense. And if so, should I have alerted him that he could do this? This seems like coaching to me. Dave
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
ASA Class A State JO ball. Team is batting and has two runners on. I am PU and coach comes up to me and says that the girl that should be up to bat has left the field and he has no available subs. They take the out in her vacated spot. Third out. He then puts 8 players on the field for defense. After the inning is over a fan comes up to him and tells him he could have placed his DP on the field at the same time as his Flex. He hadn't realized that he could have done this. First of all this would be legal correct? Put nine on defense and take an out everytime the girl that lefts spot came up on offense. And if so, should I have alerted him that he could do this? This seems like coaching to me. Dave
Yes, any nine on the line-up card can play defense.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
....... And if so, should I have alerted him that he could do this? This seems like coaching to me. Dave
You should not tell him anything of the sort. That is more than coaching, that is managing and advising a coach of how to manage his team.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dave,
Yes - any 9 on defense - as has already been said.
No - in championship play I am not making any suggestions to coaches. If league play, sure, I'll make that suggestion.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This seems like coaching to me. Dave
Who is he coaching? Pancho Villa? Gomer Pyle? He's just telling the coach what he coulda/shoulda done.

This is more looking for boogers.

If the person was up in the bleachers or behind the backstop giving some kind of signals, calling pitches or something, we've got a different deal. Of course if you call something like that you gotta make sure you have your ducks in a row.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Quote:
This seems like coaching to me. Dave
Who is he coaching? Pancho Villa? Gomer Pyle? He's just telling the coach what he coulda/shoulda done.

If the person was up in the bleachers or behind the backstop giving some kind of signals, calling pitches or something, we've got a different deal. Of course if you call something like that you gotta make sure you have your ducks in a row.

Shipwreck was asking whether he should have told the coach that he could do this. It wasn't about somebody up in the bleachers or behind the backstop. Besides, who cares about spectators offering advice to the coaches/managers?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Shipwreck was asking whether he should have told the coach that he could do this. It wasn't about somebody up in the bleachers or behind the backstop. Besides, who cares about spectators offering advice to the coaches/managers?
Originally posted by Shipwreck:
... After the inning is over a fan comes up to him and tells him he could have placed his DP on the field at the same time as his Flex. He hadn't realized that he could have done this. First of all this would be legal correct? ...

Apparently the name Celebur has nothing to do with cerebellum. If you're going to throw my fat *** under the bus, get your facts straight. Thank you and have a nice day.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shipwreck:
... After the inning is over a fan comes up to him and tells him he could have placed his DP on the field at the same time as his Flex. He hadn't realized that he could have done this. First of all this would be legal correct? ...

Apparently the name Celebur has nothing to do with cerebellum. If you're going to throw my fat *** under the bus, get your facts straight. Thank you and have a nice day.

How about we quote a little more of the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck
After the inning is over a fan comes up to him and tells him he could have placed his DP on the field at the same time as his Flex. He hadn't realized that he could have done this. First of all this would be legal correct? Put nine on defense and take an out everytime the girl that lefts spot came up on offense. And if so, should I have alerted him that he could do this? This seems like coaching to me.
Read it again. . .slowly. Very slowly.

When Shipwreck wrote, "First of all this would be legal correct?", he isn't asking whether it's legal for the fan to notify the coach! He's asking whether the fan is correct. In other words, is it legal to "Put nine on defense and take an out everytime the girl that lefts spot came up on offense"?

Shipwreck next asks whether he (i.e. the UMPIRE) should, if this is correct, have told the coach this. And he concludes by mentioning that this seems like coaching to him, which means he recognizes that the umpire is not there to coach.

Now to your post:

Quote:

It appears to me that you were interpreting Shipwreck's question as one regarding whether it was legal for the fan to advise the coach on what he should have done. If I mis-read your post, then sorry. But if you really did take it that way, then it looks like you threw your fat *** under the bus all by your lonesome.

You're welcome, and yes, I am having a nice day. Very nice indeed.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
celebur, thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say. You hit it right on the head. Dave
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry. Where do you get one of those mind reading computers? Celebur, I took it exactly the way that you, in retrospect, stated it. So, no, I didn't throw my fat a$$ under the bus myself.

And, thank you, I had a very nice day. In fact, I damned near made a ten-fold improvement in the umpiring community by taking a foul tip directly in the ol' frontal lobe. 'Course you probably don't believe I have one, but...

Unfortunately, it was not fatal.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

John (bkbjones),

Sorry for my lack of tact. My first post was intended simply to point out that you may have mis-read the OP. In hindsight, I didn't word it very well.

Honestly, I do value your insights. You have posted some excellent things here before, and I have learnt from them. So no, your near demise with the foul tip to the noggin would not have improved the umpiring community.