The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Glove falls off while making a tag... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/35950-glove-falls-off-while-making-tag.html)

Agreen_14 Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:47am

Glove falls off while making a tag...

Men's ASA SP. Close play at home, R1 slides into home and the catcher makes the tag prior to the runner touching home with the ball in the glove. The glove pops off because of the contact and lands on the ground with the ball still inside the glove. No interference, no obstruction, it was a clean play. What's the call? Out or Safe?

I say Safe, did not maintain control of the ball. Umpire rings up the runner... Not sure if he didn't want to reverse his call after making the out call then seeing the glove on the ground or he was going off of some other type of judgement/ruling.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agreen_14
Men's ASA SP. Close play at home, R1 slides into home and the catcher makes the tag prior to the runner touching home with the ball in the glove. The glove pops off because of the contact and lands on the ground with the ball still inside the glove. No interference, no obstruction, it was a clean play. What's the call? Out or Safe?

I say Safe, did not maintain control of the ball. Umpire rings up the runner... Not sure if he didn't want to reverse his call after making the out call then seeing the glove on the ground or he was going off of some other type of judgement/ruling.

Well, we haven't seen this one in a while.

If the catcher lost the glove on contact with the runner, assuming no other issues and R1 touches the plate, the call should probably be safe.

If the catcher lost the glove after a tag and the umpire judges that the player had possession of the ball after the tag was made and then lost the glove, the call should probably be out.

CecilOne Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:55am

Quote:

It comes down to control of the ball while making the tag. Reads like safe to me.

debeau Mon Jun 25, 2007 02:33pm

The way the thread is written its safe , same as ball coming out of glove on contact .

pistol Tue Jun 10, 2008 01:46am

Correct call

wadeintothem Tue Jun 10, 2008 07:56am

Of course safe.

:rolleyes:

Scooby Tue Jun 10, 2008 08:39am

Safe

LMan Tue Jun 10, 2008 09:00am

Quote:

The glove pops off because of the contact

/thread

Skahtboi Tue Jun 10, 2008 09:52am

As written, I agree with all of the other respondants.

celebur Tue Jun 10, 2008 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistol
Correct call

Do you really mean that? Perhaps you misread the OP because the call was out.

Quote:

Umpire rings up the runner. . .