The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Runner knocks 1st baseman down

Grond ball to shortstop, throws ball to 1st which the 1st baseman catches the ball in front of the base, runner coming down the line hits the 1st baseman and knocks the player on their back and the ball comes out of the glove after the 1st baseman hits the ground. I call her out for not trying to avoid the collison. Is this the correct call.

ump mac
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccann
Grond ball to shortstop, throws ball to 1st which the 1st baseman catches the ball in front of the base, runner coming down the line hits the 1st baseman and knocks the player on their back and the ball comes out of the glove after the 1st baseman hits the ground. I call her out for not trying to avoid the collison. Is this the correct call.

Not enough info.

Rules set?
Define "in front of the base". Does that mean toward home or toward SS?
Assuming F3 did not have contact with the base.
Where was the runner? Using a double-base?
How close was the runner when F3 moved in front of them?
Was there any chance for the runner to react?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Front of Base

Toward Home

On Base Line

4ft

Yes

ump mac
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mac,
See Mike's questions. I don't think anyone can give you an answer before seeing the answers to those questions.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Runner knocks 1st baseman down

In reply to my question. The 1st baseman was facing home plate. She was on the line in front of 1st base. Yes we was using the double base. She was at least 4ft from the fielder before the contact. And yes she could have avoided the collison.

ump mac
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In reply to my question. The 1st baseman was facing home plate. She was on the line in front of 1st base. Yes we was using the double base. She was at least 4ft from the fielder before the contact. And yes she could have avoided the collison.
I don't know, 4' is but a stride to a BR heading to 1B. Sounds like the throw pulled the fielder into the runner. Since the fielder had possession of the ball at the time of the collision, it cannot be OBS.

Obviously, this is a HTBT play. Speaking ASA as I envision the play by description, it could be nothing more than a train wreck which brings me to my next question. Did F3's glove, with the ball in it, contact the runner prior to being knocked to the ground? If so, then that is why the runner is out, not the collision.

Even though I may not envision the play the same, you were there and if you, as the umpire, stated that you honestly believed the runner stayed on her feet an crashed into the defender in possession of the ball, I can accept your call.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As long as you get an out, everything is peachy.

As Mike so eloquently stated, this is probably HTBT, but based on info presented, your call was likely correct. Even after musing over my veinte quad Dilletante with half and half, I'd support it.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

As has been said, 4 feet is at most one running stride. I don't see that as enough time for the runner to avoid or slide. And it does sound like the throw brought F3 into the runner's way. F3 had the ball, so no obstruction. The runner did not alter her path to go into F3, so I probably have just a wreck. From your description, the wreck is probably front-to-front and I'd expect there was contact with the gloved ball before the actual wreck (just before, but still before) - there's your out.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

It's not OBS, and doesn't sound like a crash, so it's a wreck. If there was a tag and the ball came out as a result of the fielder hitting the ground, I'd have an out. But on a ball knocked loose by a runner who committed no violation, then safe.

Last edited by greymule; Wed Jul 04, 2007 at 11:16am.