The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Help - 10U rule

I need to send a rule to my group, and I left my book at home. Can you quote the rule number and the text for the rule in ASA 10U regarding runners advancing on a pitch (i.e. how far they can go on a single pitch - not the rule regarding advancing home). Thanks in advance.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I need to send a rule to my group, and I left my book at home. Can you quote the rule number and the text for the rule in ASA 10U regarding runners advancing on a pitch (i.e. how far they can go on a single pitch - not the rule regarding advancing home). Thanks in advance.
I left the scoring part in since it is such a small part of the rule.
Quote:
RULE 8 - BATTER-RUNNER AND RUNNER
Section 4. RUNNERS ARE ENTITLED TO ADVANCE WITH LIABILITY TO BE PUT OUT.

G. (10-Under Class B Fast Pitch) Runners starting at first or second base are entitled to advance or steal one base only per pitch. Runners starting at third base may not steal or advance home but are liable to be put out if they are off the base.
1. A runner, attempting to advance beyond the one base they are entitled to
advance or steal:
EFFECT: May be put out while between bases. A runner cannot be put out while in sole contact with a base.
2. After all play ceases and the ball is dead if a runner occupies a base beyond the one the runner was entitled to advance or steal:
EFFECT: The runner will be returned to the correct base without liability to be put out.
3. If a batter strikes out and the ball is dropped by the catcher or touches the ground before reaching the catcher:
EFFECT: The batter is out and the ball is live.
4. A batter, who receives a base on balls, cannot advance past first base. If the batter-runner advances further, once the ball becomes dead, return the batter-runner to first base.
5. Awarded bases will apply to all runners.
6. Runners can only score on:
a. a batted ball,
b. a base on balls
c. hit batter with the bases full, or
d. on an awarded base.
NOTE: THIS RULE DOES NOT APPLY TO 10U CLASS A
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Thank you VERY much - I have an umpire who I rarely see (he typically works on days that I never work and vice versa, due to reverse regular-job schedules), who keeps allowed runners to steal 2nd, and then advance to 3rd on the overthrow. I emailed the group once what the rule was (without quoting it) and heard last night that he's still doing it. Hopefully, with the exact rule in hand, he'll stop. I appreciate the help.