The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ball back to Pitcher (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/34146-ball-back-pitcher.html)

Dukat Tue May 01, 2007 11:02am

Ball back to Pitcher

On another thread I saw this....

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
That's why I never throw anything (other than a ball to a pitcher after I inspect it) at any player, even if they look like they're paying attention.

With that said, I never throw the ball back to the pitcher. I always hand it to the catcher to throw back. Is there an official mechanic to this or is it personal preference?

Mountaineer Tue May 01, 2007 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukat
On another thread I saw this....

With that said, I never throw the ball back to the pitcher. I always hand it to the catcher to throw back. Is there an official mechanic to this or is it personal preference?

With me, it depends on what the catcher is doing. Sometimes she's looking for it with her glove held out or is right there. Sometimes she's walking back from chasing a foul ball that went out of play or going to retrieve her mask. If she's doing that, or getting instruction from the dugout, I'll toss the pitcher the ball. If I can, I'll hand it to the catcher. Not sure what is proper, but that's what I do.

shipwreck Tue May 01, 2007 12:39pm

I used to throw it back to the pitcher, but on a few occasions I thought she knew I was doing this but she didn't, and at the last second she saw it and caught it. I don't want to be responsible if she gets hit in the face by a ball thrown my me. Dave

Skahtboi Tue May 01, 2007 02:39pm

For NCAA, it is the recommended mechanic. PU throws the ball back to the pitcher. For everyone else, there's Mastercard.....er, personal preference.

NCASAUmp Tue May 01, 2007 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck
I used to throw it back to the pitcher, but on a few occasions I thought she knew I was doing this but she didn't, and at the last second she saw it and caught it. I don't want to be responsible if she gets hit in the face by a ball thrown my me. Dave

If it's a decent pitcher who has his/her head completely in the game, I'll throw it to them when their body language makes it clear that they are expecting me to. If I have a weekend warrior with his/her head in the clouds, I give it to the catcher. Usually, I throw it underhand and a foot short, just to be on the safer side. If it's a SP game with no stealing and the catcher tips the pitch up to me (you SP umps know what I mean), I'll throw it back. Most of those catchers can't catch/throw worth a darn! :cool:

BuggBob Tue May 01, 2007 02:50pm

No kidding the last two times I threw the ball to the pitcher they gave up four runs in that half inning. Combine that with my suckie throwing arm, I now hand the ball to the catcher. Let her put a hex on the ball.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 02, 2007 09:17am

Unless the play drew me into the infield before the ball went out of play, I let the nearest defender deliver the ball to the pitcher.

CecilOne Wed May 02, 2007 10:39am

I usually threw to the pitcher, accurately with never a risk, and never though it mattered until recently and in fact, figured it built a little rapport with the pitcher. I have changed to handing the ball to the catcher, but might adjust for situations liek being in the infield after I do this a while.

Andy Wed May 02, 2007 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
With me, it depends on what the catcher is doing. Sometimes she's looking for it with her glove held out or is right there. Sometimes she's walking back from chasing a foul ball that went out of play or going to retrieve her mask. If she's doing that, or getting instruction from the dugout, I'll toss the pitcher the ball. If I can, I'll hand it to the catcher. Not sure what is proper, but that's what I do.

This is how I handle it. I estimate that about 90% of the time, I am handing the ball to the catcher.

The one specific time that is different is the over the fence home run. As PU, I will come inside the infield to watch the runners circle the bases. After that is done, since I am usually close to the pitcher, I will turn toward her, make sure that she sees me preparing to give the ball to her and toss it gently or hand it to her.

SWFLguy Wed May 02, 2007 04:04pm

I hand the ball to the catcher and have her throw it to the pitcher
for the simple reason that if I try to throw it that far I'll probably
end up with more damage to my shoulder than I already have !