The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

10U-B and OBS

So I got the wonderful opportunity to work a 10U-B game yesterday on the bases. (Quite a fun and lazy way to end a weekend of 16U and 18U ball.) There was a situation that I think I called right, and wanted "expert opinion" on...or at least set me straight so I can clear my head on this one.

R1 at 1B. Pitch is thrown, goes to the backstop, and R1 steals 2B. F2 goes after the ball. R1 gets to 2B and rounds like she's going to go to 3B. As she rounds, the F6 obstructs her progress by colliding with her. R1 returns to 2B. F2 returns the ball back to F1 in the circle.

In my judgement, R1 could have achieved 3B had there been no obstruction. However, in 10U-B rules, runners starting at 1B or 2B are entitled to advance or steal one base only per pitch.

So what I did, was this: I signaled DDB for the OBS. Once the ball was with F1 in the circle, I put my arm down, and went to the C slot and got ready for the next play.

In my mind at the time, I could have called time, awarded R1 3B, but then I'd have to return her back to 2B anyway since she's only entitled to steal one base per pitch. So that's kinda what I did, just not formally saying it and going thru the actions of making her walk to 3B, and back to 2B, then explaining myself to the coaches.

Now I dive into the rules 24 hours later, and I find that I'm creeping into the gray area with this. I'm right about one base per pitch (8-4G).. but then with the OBS rule (specifically 8-5B-4 Effect), the OBS'd runner shall always be awarded the base which would have been reached ... blah blah.

So, 2B or not 2B (3B)? That is the question!
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

You were absolutely correct in signaling OBS because she could be put out if attempting 3B.

The base you would have awarded is the base should would have attained had their been no OBS/no out, which is not 3B, its 2B (because you would have put her back to 2B had she been safe @3B).

You handled it correctly.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

What about 8-4.G(5), awarded bases apply to all runners? If you are prepared to award her 3rd on the obstruction, doesn't that apply? I'm not sure; just asking. I can also see ignoring the obstruction, as you did; similar to the obstructed BR on a fly out.

Speaking championship play only; in any other setting, opening that can of worms is certainly not worth it.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
What about 8-4.G(5), awarded bases apply to all runners? If you are prepared to award her 3rd on the obstruction, doesn't that apply? I'm not sure; just asking. I can also see ignoring the obstruction, as you did; similar to the obstructed BR on a fly out.

Speaking championship play only; in any other setting, opening that can of worms is certainly not worth it.
The way I see it, you award the base she would have attained had there been no obstruction. That base is 2B. The protection is in place because if the R attempts a base beyond which they are entitled they can be put out (hence the proper OBS signal). I think it would be a reach outside the scope of 10UB to award them an extra base that they would not have attained had their been no OBS and they were safe @3B.

IE, that would be a punitive award of 3B.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner isn't entitled to advance to 3B, how can she be impeded?

I agree, the signal is the correct move. Maybe not on this play, but it would be possible for the runner to be put out due to the OBS and to that, the runner should be protected.

I believe that "awarded bases will apply to all runners" refers to overthrows, blocked balls, etc. situations. OBS is not meant to award bases undeserved or unavailable.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Let's take this play one step further in make-believe land.

Same scenario, OBS. However, instead of returning to 2B, she goes to 3B... and is:

a. Safe at 3B.
b. Put out at 3B.

Either scenario, your judgement is that she would have attained 3B had there been no OBS.

I think my answer is the same for both: Dead ball, return to 2B. Y'all got the same thing?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Let's take this play one step further in make-believe land.

Same scenario, OBS. However, instead of returning to 2B, she goes to 3B... and is:

a. Safe at 3B.
b. Put out at 3B.

Either scenario, your judgement is that she would have attained 3B had there been no OBS.

I think my answer is the same for both: Dead ball, return to 2B. Y'all got the same thing?
A - Dead ball, return to 2nd.
B - Dead ball, award 2nd.