The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Opool - See you in Longview (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/3358-opool-see-you-longview.html)

ntxblue Thu Dec 06, 2001 09:44am

Oppool - See you in Longview

Don,

Larry told me last night that you would be in Longview at the National School. Looking forward to meeting you.

Gary

oppool Sun Dec 09, 2001 09:06pm

Nationals

Gary it was nice meeting you at the school this weekend look forward to hopefully working with you as I begin that fast-pitch stuff next year.

Sorry I didnt see your message till I got back I was hooked up through that excite-home internet service that was cut off and my internet access went out for a week

Glen(PaPa Smurf) did you get your nick name because of white hair and beard there were a few guys I believe from your's and Joel area this weekend in Longview

We had Henry Pollard there what a interesting guy to learn and listen too

Catch you guys later

Don

whiskers_ump Mon Dec 10, 2001 06:53pm

Re: Nationals

Quote:

Originally posted by oppool

Glen(PaPa Smurf) did you get your nick name because of white hair and beard there were a few guys I believe from your's and Joel area this weekend in Longview

Catch you guys later

Don

Yes. It origianlly started with Little Leaguers. Once
a group even went to the trouble of getting the <font color = blue><b>BLUE</font></b>
gatorade for me. Now some of those players have
children playing with the various orangizations.
and the name has continued.
Really dont mind though, could be worse. :D

Did not get to go because of tournament commitment.
Have another this month and two in January. Then NFHS
starts.

glen

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Dec 10, 2001 09:58pm

Don.........Isn't Henry a riot..........

The one thing I wished I would have done at the school I attended was try the slow-pitch plate work.....

I would have felt a whole lot less nervous my first time in "AA" ball if I had done that.

I was not aware of anyone from my district up there.......but probably some guys I know from the Gulf Coast.

Joel

whiskers_ump Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:24pm

Lake Jackson Force

Joel,
You know a group called Lake Jackson Force. The
ones I called this weekend were playing as 14U.
Man, was this a miserable tournament. Raining,
cold and very windy. These gals really wanted to
play ball. We had 38 teams in this one 18-18U's.
Got another one next weekend and then one January
12/13.

glen

Gulf Coast Blue Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:08pm

glen..........

I don't know what has gone on in Lake Jackson......BUT......they have recently added 6 fields to their complex (they now have 10........all immaculate).......

The UIC from Lake Jackson's District was UIC at a tournament I called at this summer and he and I hit it off..........they have always had a slow-pitch presence......and I think their FP program is on the rise.

I also got to call some games with another umpire from LJ's association.......great guy and great umpire.......he is a bit of a cut-up and made immediate friends with my daughters......

Joel

oppool Tue Dec 11, 2001 08:06pm

Hey Glen & Joel

Met a couple of guys that I believe was down from your area. One guy Tim I didnt catch his last name but he is unable to use his left arm because of a fork-lift accident and mention Glen name in a conversation and described the white hair and beard so I figured that might be Papa Smurf the other guy I didnt catch his name said he was out of Beaumont and he was probably in his 50's also mention calling AFA ball which I beleive you guys had brought up before.\

Anyway had a good time and learn some mechanics that I think will really help. It just too bad it will be end of Feb. before I will get a chance to use them

Starting Basketball officiating on Sat just hope I dont gave to many strike and sale out calls during the game

Have a good one

Don

whiskers_ump Tue Dec 11, 2001 08:14pm

RE: Tim

Yes, I know Tim, but will have ask him [Tim] who the
other gentlemen was. We were doing an AFA the weekend
of the school and did not notice who was missing from
the normal roster. Probably did not notice because we
were too busy trying to stay warm and dry. It was not
a good softball weekend.

glen

oppool Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:51pm

Make sure you ask Tim about the women of Longview but I am pretty sure he will tell ya probably before you ask(LOL)

Have a good one

Don