The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   check swing (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/33449-check-swing.html)

just98 Fri Apr 06, 2007 01:41pm

check swing

1 out, runner on third, 0-2 count, batter checks her swing, catcher drops ball
coach tells her to run, catcher now throws ball to first, out, now runner on third comes home, and is taged out.
now the offensive wants to appeal the swing! saying she did not swing and the count should be 1-2.
so i ask can the offensive do this?

Mountaineer Fri Apr 06, 2007 01:46pm

If it's ME, my first thought is to say, "I said, yes she did coach . . . sorry." :)

CecilOne Fri Apr 06, 2007 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just98
coach tells her to run, catcher now throws ball to first, out, now runner on third comes home, and is taged out.
now the offensive wants to appeal the swing! saying she did not swing and the count should be 1-2.

:confused: If "batter checks her swing", why is it a strike? :confused:

However, if a swing is called a strike, usually not reversible.

bluezebra Fri Apr 06, 2007 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
:confused: If "batter checks her swing", why is it a strike? :confused:

However, if a swing is called a strike, usually not reversible.

USUALLY? There is no appeal on a strike call. Only the defense may ask for help on a checked swing called a ball.

Bob

CecilOne Fri Apr 06, 2007 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
USUALLY? There is no appeal on a strike call. Only the defense may ask for help on a checked swing called a ball.

Bob

I don't write true/false rules tests, so I don't say always or never. ;)

SRW Fri Apr 06, 2007 02:27pm

Coach, you must not have seen me signal the strike. She clearly made an attempt. You even said so yourself; you told her to run!

bluezebra Fri Apr 06, 2007 02:31pm

Quote:

This is one of the most incomplete, confusing posts yet.

1..Checked swing. What was the call? Ball, strike??
2..If pitch was a strike, B-R out at 1B, R3 TAGGED out at home. Three outs. Inning over.
3..The offense may not appeal a strike call.
4..Does your keyboard have capital letters?

Bob

bluezebra Fri Apr 06, 2007 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
I don't write true/false rules tests, so I don't say always or never. ;)

That's a cop-out. There is no appeal on a checked swing strike call.

Bob

CecilOne Fri Apr 06, 2007 03:02pm

Quote:

That's a cop-out. There is no appeal on a checked swing strike call.

Bob

A ;) means I'm fooling around.

I didn't say "appeal on a checked swing strike call", I said "not reversible", trying to provoke discussion. :)

umpharp Fri Apr 06, 2007 04:21pm

Quote:

This is one of the most incomplete, confusing posts yet.

1..Checked swing. What was the call? Ball, strike??
2..If pitch was a strike, B-R out at 1B, R3 TAGGED out at home. Three outs. Inning over.
3..The offense may not appeal a strike call.
4..Does your keyboard have capital letters?

Bob

I don't know about his keyboard, but mine has all capital letters. They just don't work without that pesky Shift being pushed.
If I was you, I would check your keyboard. It looks like your period key is sticking.
I read his post just fine.

WestMichBlue Fri Apr 06, 2007 05:19pm

OK, I am going to high-jack this thread just to have some fun.

Same situation; checked swing, PU says Ball, F2 misses pitch.

B1 backs out of the batter's box, but F2 retrieved the ball quickly and R1 does not come home. As F1 walks back to the plate area, she (or her coach) asks you to appeal the check swing.

1. If you are the PU, would you appeal? Yes? No?

2. If you were my partner, and you thought the checked swing went too far, would you call strike? Yes? No?

The reason I am asking this is that B1 stayed at home due to the BALL call. If the call is changed to a strike, B1 has no chance to advance and is tagged out by F2 at the plate. By appealing, and risking a change to a strike, are we puting the offense at a disavantage?

WMB

umpharp Fri Apr 06, 2007 07:39pm

Interesting questions WMB

This has happened to me during a game. I beleive it was 14U or 16U. I was BU. Nobody on base. 1 Out. 2 Strikes on B1. B1 attempted to check her swing, but there was no question to me that she swung. PU called a ball. Ball got by catcher. Defense coach asks for PU to ask. He did and I rung her up on a "Yes She did."
Offensive coach never said anything, she went to the dugout and the game continued. I hadn't thought about it until I read WMB's post.

wadeintothem Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:07pm

Quote:

Hmm check swing..

So ... shes not out at one.

Runner from 3 is out.

I'll check with partner since its a check swing/ball.

If she went - shes out at 1 = end of inning.

If she didnt count is 1-2 with 2 outs.

Play ball

Ed Maeder Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:38pm

Let's turn this around another way. Plate umpire calls it an attempt and the O coach asks him to go for help. The plate umpire does in fact go for help from the base umpire. As base umpire what are your options if you are positive beyond a doubt that the batter didn't attempt. Do you go with your partner or do you make the call that you feel is correct. I know as plate umpire that I'm not getting my partner in on this I'm going to take care of this myself. As the base umpire what do you do? Just say my partner called it an attempt so it's a strike. Don't be suprised I had a plate umpire do this to me when I was on the bases before. Blew my mind.

Steve M Fri Apr 06, 2007 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Let's turn this around another way. Plate umpire calls it an attempt and the O coach asks him to go for help. The plate umpire does in fact go for help from the base umpire. As base umpire what are your options if you are positive beyond a doubt that the batter didn't attempt. Do you go with your partner or do you make the call that you feel is correct. I know as plate umpire that I'm not getting my partner in on this I'm going to take care of this myself. As the base umpire what do you do? Just say my partner called it an attempt so it's a strike. Don't be suprised I had a plate umpire do this to me when I was on the bases before. Blew my mind.

Ed,
If I'm BU and my PU partner comes to me on a pitch that he judged a swing, I am telling my partner not to ask me - when we meet together. "Don't come to me on one that you judged a swing. That's not proper mechanics and I'm not going to give you an answer other than this."