The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Leg Guard thread #34323 attn Dakota (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/33041-leg-guard-thread-34323-attn-dakota.html)

wadeintothem Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:08pm

Leg Guard thread #34323 attn Dakota
 
Getting geared up ready to go. I need top notch Leg Guards. I've researched the threads Re UmpShins and Gerry Davis - I dont think they will work for me.

I work of course up to Girls 18Gold but also Mens FP and Boys 18U Little Ball and I dont trust the two above. I've had my "once in a lifetime" shin shot (mens - with guards on) and it was the worst injury I've had as an umpire - I want to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I wear high top Plate Shoes.

So.. looking through the threads the ones that most interest me is Dakota's Diamond's:
http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...tegory_Code=SG

What do you think Dakota? Considering my high tops (I wont change this) + have you taken a good shot with them?

Other suggestions welcome.. I dont want crab leg hockey goalie bulky suit of armor guards, but I want good protection and am not particularly concerned with saving a couple of bucks, good guards is what I want.

I also dont want guards that you have to wear compression pants because the guards are so uncomfortable. Comfort at the snaps and against the bear leg.

Steve M Sat Mar 24, 2007 06:01am

Wade,
You asked Tom, but I'll jump in here too.
Those guards will probably work. When you deal with the folks at Lesters', talk with them, they have been very good in quality, service, and timeliness when I have dealt with them. Dunno if he still does, but Lester used to post on this board.

As to leg guards, I had one of those shots using the UmpShins and you're right. I had to check to see if I actually had them on. It hurt for some time. Now I use the baseball version of the UmpShins and have taken shots with no problem. I think the difference is that this model is a little thicker and it is ribbed. I have worn them in baseball games, but only when I didn't have the West Vest stuff with me. Oh, I also wear high tops. They are not an issue.

wadeintothem Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M
Wade,
You asked Tom, but I'll jump in here too.
Those guards will probably work. When you deal with the folks at Lesters', talk with them, they have been very good in quality, service, and timeliness when I have dealt with them. Dunno if he still does, but Lester used to post on this board.

As to leg guards, I had one of those shots using the UmpShins and you're right. I had to check to see if I actually had them on. It hurt for some time. Now I use the baseball version of the UmpShins and have taken shots with no problem. I think the difference is that this model is a little thicker and it is ribbed. I have worn them in baseball games, but only when I didn't have the West Vest stuff with me. Oh, I also wear high tops. They are not an issue.

Hey thanks steve.

The west vest ones are comfortable enough you dont have to wear under armor pants?

I liked to died last summer wearing those things soley for leg guard comfort... I'm done with wearing those pants.

Dakota Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
So.. looking through the threads the ones that most interest me is Dakota's Diamond's:
http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...tegory_Code=SG

What do you think Dakota? Considering my high tops (I wont change this) + have you taken a good shot with them?

I don't have those. The ones I have are apparently no longer being made (since I can't find them online anymore). They are Itech Ump 3000's. Itech makes mostly hockey gear.

I've taken a number of direct shots on them, and their protection is excellent. Plus, they are close fitting to the leg, so I have even worn them under base pants and the pant legs would still fall naturally. Unfortunately, I didn't even see any for sale on ebay (but I didn't search too long).

wadeintothem Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:11pm

Yeah I dont see them either. THat was from a link in a post long ago..

I may just make the 80 mile drive to the only decent ball shop around here and go play.

Steve M Sat Mar 24, 2007 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Hey thanks steve.

The west vest ones are comfortable enough you dont have to wear under armor pants?

I liked to died last summer wearing those things soley for leg guard comfort... I'm done with wearing those pants.

Wade,
Usually I wear the long compression pants. Last summer, though, I wore the shorts a lot more often. I did not have any problems with chafing when I wore the west vest leggings. Since the vast majority of my games were softball, I don't think I wore any of the west vest stuff more than 10 tiems last year.

I remember those ITech guards. Had I been looking for some I'd have tried them. I noticed that nobody seems to have them on their web sites now, but they still looked interesting.

JEL Sat Mar 24, 2007 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Getting geared up ready to go. I need top notch Leg Guards. I've researched the threads Re UmpShins and Gerry Davis - I dont think they will work for me.

I work of course up to Girls 18Gold but also Mens FP and Boys 18U Little Ball and I dont trust the two above. I've had my "once in a lifetime" shin shot (mens - with guards on) and it was the worst injury I've had as an umpire - I want to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I wear high top Plate Shoes.

So.. looking through the threads the ones that most interest me is Dakota's Diamond's:
http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...tegory_Code=SG

What do you think Dakota? Considering my high tops (I wont change this) + have you taken a good shot with them?

Other suggestions welcome.. I dont want crab leg hockey goalie bulky suit of armor guards, but I want good protection and am not particularly concerned with saving a couple of bucks, good guards is what I want.

I also dont want guards that you have to wear compression pants because the guards are so uncomfortable. Comfort at the snaps and against the bear leg.

I use Diamonds that look almost identical to those. The difference is the ventilating holes aren't in mine. I have no complaints at all, and have taken some hard shots, both baseball and softball with no injury, bruising, etc. You know you've been hit, but really feel nothing. No problem with comfort either. I have thought of cutting off the foot flap, they aren't needed with my plate shoes, but in most softball I don't wear plate shoes, so I left them on.

I did (after initial strap adjustment) sew the strap ends together to keep them from loosening up. They will work loose and fall off!

Over the years, I have upgraded masks, chest protectors, cups and such, but the shin gaurds have always been fine!

wadeintothem Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:07pm

Well I decicded to take the drive to the store and they had the diamonds and the West Vest and a number of different ones so I was able to sit and try out a bunch of em.. I went ahead and got the Gerry Davis leg guards. The comfort of them are remarkable, although they do seem on the weaker side. No doubt west vest is the premier equipment (I use the west vest for chest).. but that was A LOT of knee pad and I just decided not to do it. I was picturing myself in the 10-15 mins I have to get ready for a game between games in super heat strapping those bad boys on.. and decided nah. The diamonds were not comfortable to me so they are a no go. The metal clasps rub against the leg.

Thanks all, we'll see how these do.. if they dont do well.. I'll try again.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1