The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Almost Malicious contact ? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/32565-almost-malicious-contact.html)

CecilOne Fri Mar 09, 2007 05:53pm

Unfortunately, there used to be and probably still is a "must slide" rule in Little League Baseball, and that's where most rules knowledge comes from.

mcrowder Fri Mar 09, 2007 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
Didn't we recently hear that malicious means forceful, likely to cause injury, etc. not necessarily with intent? IOW, the effect is "malicious" as if it were a synonym for violent or vicious.
Yes, I know that's not what the word really means.

I don't believe I've been told that from any source - where did "we" hear this?

ukumpire Sat Mar 10, 2007 03:32am

Tie!

I have been taught never to use the word 'Tie' the fact of the rule is that the ball never got to the bag before the runner did, the fact that it was simultaneous (a tie) is irrelevant.
Just one of those little things I was taught
Oh also, I agree with the majority that evaluator needs to be evaluated!:D

DonInKansas Sat Mar 10, 2007 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg
a tie DOES go to the runner..... scratch that one from the myth department

But, but fed rules... the evaluator is wrong....

No way turkey......Tie goes to the FIELDER.

When in doubt, call em out!:)

JEL Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas

Nah,

Tie goes to the.................

UMPIRE!

Call 'em like you see 'em!

CecilOne Sat Mar 10, 2007 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
I don't believe I've been told that from any source - where did "we" hear this?

I can't find it now or remember where, but I'll try again later.
Very likely related to NFHS, maybe just them. :confused:

bluezebra Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
Zillions of coaches, players, fans, and even other umpires have told me that runners must slide. It's a safety issue. The head of a rec department for an entire township even told me this. He quoted the rule book: "Slide or veer"— though he couldn't remember the specific number of the rule offhand. I'm looking through my book and can't seem to find it. But it's gotta be there. Everybody knows runners must slide. I'll keep looking.

It's amazing that so few people understand what "OR" means.

Bob

Skahtboi Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
It's amazing that so few people understand what "OR" means.

Bob

Original runner???? :D

mcrowder Sun Mar 11, 2007 09:52pm

Offensive Reply?

azbigdawg Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas

Balls gotta beat the runner there.... if not.... safe....

mcrowder Mon Mar 12, 2007 08:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg
Balls gotta beat the runner there.... if not.... safe....

Call us back when you read the rest of the rulebook. The book says one thing for BR, the opposite for runner - and it's almost a definite thing that they didn't intend for a tie to go to the BR, but not to a runner.

Any good umpire knows there's no such thing as a tie, and that it's our job to differentiate between ball-beats-runner and runner-beats-ball. If you'd like to join that club, feel free.

But this thread was not about ties....

azbigdawg Mon Mar 12, 2007 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
Call us back when you read the rest of the rulebook. The book says one thing for BR, the opposite for runner - and it's almost a definite thing that they didn't intend for a tie to go to the BR, but not to a runner.

Any good umpire knows there's no such thing as a tie, and that it's our job to differentiate between ball-beats-runner and runner-beats-ball. If you'd like to join that club, feel free.

But this thread was not about ties....

Not sure why you feel the need to insult, but you have to look inward to find that answer....

Taught and read the rulesbook for years....my statements are not something I pulled out of my ***, but have been taught to me for years by people whose credentials are pretty much as good as it gets.....

And I HAVE seen ties. DEAD ON "I cant tell the difference" ties....SEVERAL....and they will go to the runner.

If you ever wanna discuss it without resorting to childish insults, look me up...