The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   slowpitch (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/31226-slowpitch.html)

j51969 Thu Jan 25, 2007 05:22pm

slowpitch

Is this all fastpitch, or are there some slowpitch umpires on here as well. I know, I know is a retarded fat guy sport. I have traveled as a player, and umpired mostly ASA, USSA, and NSA. Don't beat me up to bad:eek:

Dakota Thu Jan 25, 2007 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969
...I know, I know is a retarded fat guy sport....

Sure, there are a number of slow pitch umpires here, more that call both. I'm fast pitch only, but this comment should get a response from the slow pitch umpires! :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 25, 2007 07:51pm

:D Let me be the first.

If you have ever worked at the Major/A level of ASA, or any level at the Hooters, you would not make such an inane comment as that.

See, that wasn't too bad.

chuck chopper Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:16pm

In slow pitch the Ump basically works only after the ball is hit. In fast pitch things happen even if the ball isn't hit. I think most of us get a mix each week.
Some times its harder to deal with the 30 year old children instead of the 16 year olds.

archangel Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:08pm

and fastpitch is like a soccer game, usually 1-0 final scores= all pitching and no offense (Oh, no offense meant).
Slowpitch is like a NBA game= all scoring, beer available, some defense.
Frankly, I enjoy knocking an SP adult down a peg or 2, part of the fun in the sun...

azbigdawg Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969
Is this all fastpitch, or are there some slowpitch umpires on here as well. I know, I know is a retarded fat guy sport. I have traveled as a player, and umpired mostly ASA, USSA, and NSA. Don't beat me up to bad:eek:

try not to embarass yourself like that.........

A lot of good SP umpires in here

I my (Irrelevant) Opinion.....the best umpires work both.....

This is THE best place to come with questions and info....

Dakota Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg
...my (Irrelevant) Opinion..

I agree! :D

Andy Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel
...and fastpitch is like a soccer game, usually 1-0 final scores...

This is exactly why I prefer the fastpitch game. Two good pitchers, lots of strikes and outs.

The further into these games that you get, the effect of errors or other "mistakes" becomes greater. I love that high intensity level!

It also forces me, as the umpire, to focus more intently and do my job to the best of my ablility.

NDblue Fri Jan 26, 2007 02:49pm

I do mostly slowpitch but trying to work my way into doing some FP games. FP isn't very popular around here at this time but that may be changing in the next couple of years.:D

umpharp Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:33am

I do both....all 3 if you include modified. I prefer modified and JO ball during the regular season. The level of ball is much better than our local slow pitch leagues. I have, however, had a lot of fun working State SP tournaments. I'm pretty sure its because most of the teams in a state tourny play a better level of ball than most local leagues.
Your local league is a "retarded fat guy sport" because your local league has allowed it to become that. Most SP leagues are good and competitive.

Welcome to the board.....you'll find a lot of good information for all levels and associations on this board.

wadeintothem Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:02am

last year was my first foray into slow pitch and I worked the local beer league.

I did not particularly enjoy officiating the game, I found it much more boring than fast pitch (especially the womens beer league, which was the worst ball I've ever witnessed in my life). I wont work the beer league again so long as the guy running it keeps running it due to the fact he is a slime ball about paying. In fact, hes in a heap of trouble from many umps.

I may try to get into some of the ASA TOurney's run through our Assoc. though. Give real slow pitch a shot and see if its any different.

NDblue Sat Jan 27, 2007 04:29pm

I agree that lower level "beer league" softball is not a very interesting sport to officiate but the upper levels of SP are just as much fun as anything else I've umpired. You can get some pretty serious ball played at the upper levels of SP and as an umpire, you best be on your toes because there, the coaches/managers actually read the rule book. :eek:

Ran.D Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:20am

Call a good bit of SP in our local league and tournaments. It's great so long as the teams show some class and appreciate the game.

The majority of the teams show respect and realize it's a game played for fun. But........get a bad attitude team on a bad night and it can be miserable.

I've had teams make 10+ errors in an inning, consume way too many, lose by the run rule and still blame their loss on one close call that didn't go their way.

It really helps to keep the game going at a good pace and continue to act professionally, no matter how sloppy the level of play becomes. Make calls quick and decisively, if conferences are necessary, keep them short.

I know, this is true for any type of play, but in SP every guy/girl in the dugout thinks they're the coach. Don't give them time to start whining and creatively interpreting the rules.

tcblue13 Mon Jan 29, 2007 01:36am

Let's not forget about "modified"

j51969 Mon Jan 29, 2007 04:19pm

I've played at A/B level in my younger days. I'm not saying all slowpitch player are fat. It was meant to be a joke. You just don't have to be the fittest guy to be good. I love to play and to travel, both to umpire and to particicpate. I'm glad there is a place where I can converse with other umpires like I do in Basketball.