The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Question rusty

Because of my job I had to take a couple years off of umpping.When I left I was having a few problems with blinking or moving on pitches when I was on the plate.Any advice on that or changes the last two years.Thanks.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

There have been quite a few rule changes over the past couple of years. Which ruleset are you primarily calling? If you are referring to mechanics changes, I would suggest attending a regional/state/national clinic to get brought up to date on those.

As for your blinking, do you notice any specific times when you do it, or is it on almost every pitch? Do you track the ball with your nose(though I understand that ASA is now crawfishing on that mechanic, and saying track with your eyes) from the pitcher's hand all the way to the catcher's glove? If not, give that a try. It will also help you be much more consistent in setting your strike zone. Another thing that may help you in focusing, thus reducing the blink instinct, is while tracking the ball, see if you can pick up the spin as a batter would and then follow the ball all the way to the catcher's glove. It is amazing how much that little "tweek" in concentration can eliminate some of the problems. Often, the blink reflex kicks in when were are not totally focused on the incoming pitch, but are distracted by other things such as the last minute move by the catcher, the batter squaring to bunt...etc.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.Fed ball is what I work.When you say follow my nose do you mean without turning my head?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra58
Thanks.Fed ball is what I work.When you say follow my nose do you mean without turning my head?
Bob,
When tracking by pointing your nose at the ball, you are supposed to move your head. You should not have to move your nose more than 1 inch, so the head movement is not dramatic. But it is a dramatic thought/approach change. Where you'll really notice a big benefit is on the low outside pitch.

btw, I always thought you'd retired from the day job when you went out to the land of fruits & nuts.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Tracking with your nose does require some head turn in the last few feet of an outside pitch, assuming you are up tight to the catcher. I teach it by reminding (at least the older generation) of Pete Rose watching a pitch all the way into the catcher's mitt. Similarly, we attempt to track all the way into the mitt; even though the strike zone may have been passed earlier in the pitch, the track to the mitt allows better timing on your call, less distraction by the swing, and a more definite focus on a drop/short hop by the catcher.

By locking the eyes and making a minor head movement, you more accurately reflect the same focus mechanism of a video camera. Consider the autofocus on a video camera lens, attempting to follow the ball from pitcher's hand to the glove, then, after hit, following the ball as it moves around the field. Any camera operator would certainly note that the camera stays more focused, with less work, when the operator attempts to keep the ball in the middle of the frame, and moves with the ball. If the camera stays locked in place, the autofocus churns to keep up, and the focus is rarely as sharp. If the camera overcompensates, and moves too quickly, or beyond the location of the ball, the focus mechanism churns to work, and is not as sharp.

So it is with our eyes. The older (and still baseball technique) of locking the head and moving only the eyes recognizes the problem of moving too quickly, or overadjusting; while it resolves half the possible issues, the philosophy comes from a time before we could use the example of a camera with autofocus. And, it is somewhat based on a much deeper baseball catcher (and thus umpire) position relative to the strike zone at home plate, whereas the typical fastpich catcher often catches the ball just behind the zone. By pointing your nose on the ball, and attempting to keep the ball there as it moves, you minimize your movements, maximize your focus, and best utilize your depth perception.

That is the concept I learned from the first (to my knowledge) ASA plate guru, Tony Walsh, followed by Billy Peterson and then Jim Craig; and that is what the ASA NUS has preached since. If there is a movement afoot to change that concept, I would hate to understand what basis they might have to justify the physical issues. As we have discussed in other threads, there are certain staff members (newer ones, mostly) who are teaching whatever mechanic they personally prefer, and asserting that is THE ASA position.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 06:18pm.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Bob,
When tracking by pointing your nose at the ball, you are supposed to move your head. You should not have to move your nose more than 1 inch, so the head movement is not dramatic. But it is a dramatic thought/approach change. Where you'll really notice a big benefit is on the low outside pitch.

btw, I always thought you'd retired from the day job when you went out to the land of fruits & nuts.
Steve,

Bob is "bluezebra." The OP in this thread is "bluezebra58"
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Steve,

Bob is "bluezebra." The OP in this thread is "bluezebra58"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOps
Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I teach it by reminding (at least the older generation) of Pete Rose watching a pitch all the way into the catcher's mitt.
But did you ever notice where Pete's eyes went from the mitt? Right to the umpire's face. Nothing like trying to intimidate the umpire. He did the same thing in softball.

Old Thu Jan 11, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
But did you ever notice where Pete's eyes went from the mitt? Right to the umpire's face. Nothing like trying to intimidate the umpire. He did the same thing in softball.

I also saw where, if he respected the call, he nodded his head at the umpire, then turned back for the next pitch.

Could be intimidation; could be judging your zone for himself, then making the necessary adjustment when required.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I also saw where, if he respected the call, he nodded his head at the umpire, then turned back for the next pitch.

Could be intimidation; could be judging your zone for himself, then making the necessary adjustment when required.
I've had the privilege (note: see tongue in cheek) of running into Mr. Rose on the ballfield and a few times at the track (horse, not car), or should I say, he ran into me.

I am quite confident the look to the mitt was being a good ballplayer. But the look to the umpire........
Old Fri Jan 12, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've had the privilege (note: see tongue in cheek) of running into Mr. Rose on the ballfield and a few times at the track (horse, not car), or should I say, he ran into me.

I am quite confident the look to the mitt was being a good ballplayer. But the look to the umpire........
I use to umpire slow pitch at Wright Patterson AFA, Oh. Pete was on a team there. Got the look then too.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
I use to umpire slow pitch at Wright Patterson AFA, Oh. Pete was on a team there. Got the look then too.
WOW !!! I didn't think AFA was big enough to have there own Air Force base!!!

Should I assume WP includes a federal penitentiary?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think Pete's time in the fed prison system was up here - at Allenwood.
One of our local umps - before he got transferred - was the warden or asst warden.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WOW !!! I didn't think AFA was big enough to have there own Air Force base!!!

Should I assume WP includes a federal penitentiary?

OOOOps, since I do mostly AFA, guess it was on my mind, well in my fingers.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

I never heard anyone describe him as humble.