The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   look back rule (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/29080-look-back-rule.html)

gfleischer82 Tue Oct 24, 2006 02:15pm

look back rule

Look Back rule.

Batter get base on ball. Runner runs around 1st toward 2nd. A ball is returned to pitcher. A runner kinda slow down then proceed to 2nd. Is runner out due to look back rule violation? Since the runner is commited to 2nd base?

Steve M Tue Oct 24, 2006 02:42pm

Did this runner stop - and stay stopped? Did this runner change direction twice? What part of the lookback rule do you think the runner violated? I do not see a violation in the description you gave.

mcrowder Tue Oct 24, 2006 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfleischer82
Look Back rule.

Batter get base on ball. Runner runs around 1st toward 2nd. A ball is returned to pitcher. A runner kinda slow down then proceed to 2nd. Is runner out due to look back rule violation? Since the runner is commited to 2nd base?

There is no such thing as a runner being committed to a base. Not even sure what you'd be referring to there.

Once the pitcher has the ball in the circle AND the BR has reached first base, LBR is on. AFTER this moment, the runner is allowed to stop exactly once, decide which way to go, and then must continue in that direction, assuming no play is made. Let's assume that BR has reached first in your scenario. The runner slowing - legal. Did she stop? If so, legal for now. Did she stop for longer than a couple of seconds? If so - there's your LBR violation. If not, did she then, after the stop, proceed in only one direction (either toward 1st or 2nd). If so, legal. If she stopped a 2nd time, or reversed direction after the first stop, then you have a LBR violation.

Your sitch sounds completely legal, even if BR had reached first.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 24, 2006 03:56pm

Quote:

Look Back rule.

To start, I hope the defense appeal the BR failing to touch 1B :D

The runner is not committed to 2B, did not stop, did not reverse direction.

There is no call to be made here.

CecilOne Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
There is no such thing as a runner being committed to a base. Not even sure what you'd be referring to there.

NFHS 8-7-4

gfleischer82 Tue Oct 24, 2006 06:02pm

ASA:

a runner did not stopped or changed directions.

just like running fast slow down then run fast (changing speed) toward 2nd base after base on ball

bluezebra Tue Oct 24, 2006 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
To start, I hope the defense appeal the BR failing to touch 1B :D

The runner is not committed to 2B, did not stop, did not reverse direction.

There is no call to be made here.

I believe the poster did not mean missed 1B, though it's worded awkwardly.

Bob

bluezebra Tue Oct 24, 2006 07:15pm

Quote:

Look Back rule.

As others said, a runner is not "committed" to a base. Only managers and coaches should be "committed", but not to a base.

Since the runner did not stop, the "look-back" rule is not in effect. She/he could walk as slowly as she/he wants, as long as moving.

Bob

wadeintothem Tue Oct 24, 2006 08:40pm

What age group was this? 12U friendly rec?

Its such a common thing to do.

Lucky for yall she didnt run all the way home.

gfleischer82 Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:03pm

14U friendly.

She did touched first base. Then to 2nd base.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Oct 25, 2006 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
Only managers and coaches should be "committed", but not to a base.

I don't know about that. There are a few that I think should be committed to a base.......in Irag or Afghanistan.:eek:

Just kidding!

mcrowder Wed Oct 25, 2006 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
NFHS 8-7-4

Which says what?

The runner may be required, based on certain actions, to continue in a certain direction, but she certainly is not "committed" to a specific base. The runner in the OP could have continued all the way home if she wanted.

Dakota Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:51am

Quote:

The runner may be required, based on certain actions, to continue in a certain direction, but she certainly is not "committed" to a specific base. The runner in the OP could have continued all the way home if she wanted.

OK, you keep bringing this back up. ASA 8-7-T uses the term "committed" in reference to a base in 3-c, d, and e.

CecilOne Wed Oct 25, 2006 04:30pm

Quote:

Which says what?

Come on Mike, the word "committed" is used in that rule.
Now you made me look it up:
in c: "is committed to second"
in d: "is committed to first"
in e: "is committed to first"
:)

mcrowder Thu Oct 26, 2006 01:02pm

Fair enough - my bad!

I now think, instead, that the rule is worded poorly. They are not really committed to a base - technically they are committed to either run forward or run backward without stopping. Nothing says (especially in the forward cases) that they can't continue running. I guess I'm saying that the word "committed" here is misleading.

But yeah - I'm wrong as to whether that word appears on the rule. My apologies.