The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Umpiring

Im currently speaking with the UIC and District Commissioner about umpiring ASA Ball. I find its time to do something different, too much BS going on in LL, however i might still do it. Anyone here do ASA? My ASA district is PA District #4. Do you think its a good choice doing ASA?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
...Anyone here do ASA?...Do you think its a good choice doing ASA?
Mike - this one looks like it's on a tee for you!
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Im currently speaking with the UIC and District Commissioner about umpiring ASA Ball. I find its time to do something different, too much BS going on in LL, however i might still do it. Anyone here do ASA? My ASA district is PA District #4. Do you think its a good choice doing ASA?
Most everyone here "does ASA". Those that don't work something closer to ASA, all definitely non-LL. Wish I could find some ASA FP.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone here do ASA?
Yes, I do, and as Cecil said, most of us do ASA, and most of us also do other associations, too. I, for example, also call NFHS (MSHSL) and AFA.
Quote:
My ASA district is PA District #4. Do you think its a good choice doing ASA?
We have some PA umpires here who may be able to address you location. How strong an organization is in the area will have a large impact on whether it is a "good choice." If the organization is strong, with lots of teams and games, with a good local umpire association handling the ASA games, then ASA is an excellent choice. The national ASA organization is well respected and generally well organized. Umpire training is excellent (most of the time).

However, if you are looking to escape local BS... well, that would be entirely a local problem. I guess it depends on what exactly is frustrating you about the LL program there.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Dan,
There is one fastpitch umpire chapter in Pa's district 4. I am the rules interpreter of that chapter. You're in Milton, I live in Danville. Some of our chapter officers/directors are in Milton, Williamsport, Bloomsburg, and some other towns. Feel free to contact me directly for any questions you have regarding registration, our clinics, chapter meetings, or anything along those lines.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, I was given information from the state to contact the UIC of the district too. Help me out here, lol my email is [email protected]

Dakota,

Problem with LL is things get wayyy too person off the feild. LL stuff gets mixed with personal lives and it doesnt work. Here, if someone is ejected, its a crime of the umpire to do that, and it leads to the umpire getting kicked off the feild, weather or not it was justifiable. Also, there is people in postions, such as UIC, that are 1. not umpires, never done a game in their life, 2. totally not qualified for the job. Its not true of all leagues, but it is for one of the leagues ive done games for. Heres what happened that ticked me off. I do games for leagues a&b. League A is interleaguing against League B in B's park. I eject 2 League A coaches, all hell busts loose. First, the UIC in league A, isnt an ump, shes some lady (League B's is umpire), UIC of A, has a son on A's team, and is there at the park, she goes over talks to them!!! When i get done, she comes over and tells me District UIC told her not to let me do a game the next day in A's park. (total lie, i spoke w/ him after the game). Anyhow, she takes it personal, I end up speaking what i think, President is very good friends with her, so i get booted from the league after an ejection of a coach who was a board member. District UIC tries to help, not much he can do. At this point, ive had it with LL. This league is nothing but idiots. Things get personal off the feild. I come back and do all stars, which the leagues have no say in who umpires games in their host parks, so i was assigned to 9-10s Bball, which is in league A's park, so needless to say i wasnt welcomed there, but they respeceted me Now tell me, do you see a problem with LL ?

Last edited by LLPA13UmpDan; Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 06:48pm.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

I just emailed contact info for our D4 uic. You'll note that he does note have email.

D4 commissioner does have email. Dave's email is [email protected].
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
I just emailed contact info for our D4 uic. You'll note that he does note have email.

Steve,

I expect to see your buddy, Dave P this weekend. Any kind words you would like me to pass along?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M

ok thanks!!!
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Dan if is half of what it is here it will turn out to be a wise choice. I work with Andy, AzBigDawg and others from these pages. They are not only great officials but fantastic people. The training is first rate and every one works hard to help you succeed. L.L. is a wonderful volunteer organization but belonging to an umpire's association that trains, evaluates and assigns will raise your game to a higher level. If not currently side lined with cancer I would be cleaning my gear now for one of two local tournaments this weekend.

Paul
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Steve,

I expect to see your buddy, Dave P this weekend. Any kind words you would like me to pass along?
Mike,
Tell him I said hi. That should do.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Wish I could find some ASA FP.
Move to Texas. We seem to have more than we can handle!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most everyone here "does ASA". Those that don't work something closer to ASA, all definitely non-LL. Wish I could find some ASA FP.
What are you doing this weekend???
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mega Dittoes

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"