The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   "Ballgame!" (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27597-ballgame.html)

Skahtboi Fri Jul 28, 2006 01:25pm

"Ballgame!"

I am just wondering, after reading the other thread where this became an issue, how many of you utter these words, or words to this effect, to indicate the end of the ballgame? I see absolutely no point in it.

As a matter of fact, just yesterday, at the conclusion of my first game of the day(I was PU), I walked over and began to gather up my water bottle and ice chest with cold towels in itm and began to head to the winning dugout to exit the field with my partner. My partner, coming in from the field said to me, "That's ballgame, partner." I replied, "Yes, it is." He then asked if I was going to verbally indictate that. I pointed to the girls, who had already lined up and begun their "good games" with each other, and stated, "Why? They already seem to know it."

It made me wonder then, and after reading that other thread today, just where did this custom arise? It isn't in any of the umpire manuals, other than the already mentioned NCAA. (Even at college games, though, I never say it.) I just see no point to it.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 28, 2006 01:41pm

That's why I always wondered by umpires routinely check with scorekeepers for the score and inning. Unless the run rule comes into effect, the winning team will tell you when its over :)

Dakota Fri Jul 28, 2006 01:45pm

I'll verbally state that the game is over due to time expired (for timed games).

I'll verbally state "game" or something similar if one coach "tosses in the towel" so to speak.

But for a game that goes through 6 1/2 or 7 innings and naturally ends, the final OUT is all that is necessary to call. If the home teams scores the winning run in the bottom of the 7th, I'll confirm with the scorekeeper.

tcblue13 Fri Jul 28, 2006 02:31pm

I don't know why, but I say it when the game ends by mercy rule but not when it concludes normally. Just something I picked up somewhere

Dakota Fri Jul 28, 2006 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That's why I always wondered by umpires routinely check with scorekeepers for the score and inning. Unless the run rule comes into effect, the winning team will tell you when its over :)

With mommy / daddy scorekeepers for each team, and no official scorekeepers, it is necessary to keep both books in sync to avoid the likely chaos. Call it "preventative scorekeeping". ;)

CelticNHBlue Fri Jul 28, 2006 02:41pm

The only situation I have used this mechanic is when a game ends prior to the final out of the inning and all players are not aware that the game is over. In this sole case, when the play may continue after the final run has scored and I am certain that all runners have met their responisibilities to insure there can be no appeals that could otherwise change the outcome, do I make any game concluding remark or signal. In this case, it is for the safety of the players that the play not continue at the risk of an injury. I will typically declare, "That's game ladies/gentlemen" (don't laugh, the terms are only meant to be identifying, not necessarily accurate) and give the dead ball signal to bring an end to all actions. Other than that, I wait until they stop coming back onto the field, then I meet my partner and exit quietly.

OklahomaBlue Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:08pm

I do and I don't know why... Point taken...

Along those same lines, why do umpires call a foul, "foul ball". It's just a foul. Everyone knows it's a ball... You wouldn't call a strike a "strike ball" or a ball a "ball ball".... ;)

Mountaineer Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OklahomaBlue
I do and I don't know why... Point taken...

Along those same lines, why do umpires call a foul, "foul ball". It's just a foul. Everyone knows it's a ball... You wouldn't call a strike a "strike ball" or a ball a "ball ball".... ;)

Hmmm, I must be ahead of my time - sometimes I do call just "foul" or "dead".

wadeintothem Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:37pm

Well, if its not obvious to all (ie girls lining up) and since most of my games are timed games, not a 7 inning game, i say it to let them know thats the game.

I dont just gather up my stuff and wander off the field with everyone standing around wondering whats going on as others on this forum might. I imagine with games officiated by those types of umps they figure it out eventually.. hey blue left, must be game over. I choose to let em know.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Hmmm, I must be ahead of my time - sometimes I do call just "foul" or "dead".

I always say dead ball. If not, the teams may think I'm referring to one, or both, of my eyes :D

wadeintothem Fri Jul 28, 2006 03:46pm

I'll also add that not saying "ball game" because you cant find permission to do so in your little book is the height of absurdity :D

tzme415 Fri Jul 28, 2006 04:08pm

I know I say something like that when the game ends by time limit or by run rule, but I don't think I do when it ends normally. Then again I never really thought about it. :)

Steve M Fri Jul 28, 2006 05:10pm

If it's a run rule or time limit, I'll say something to each head coach, not make an announcement. If it's a time limit game, with home team batting and home team leading, I'll call Time, and announce that we've reached the time limit.
Other than that, the players pretty much tell me when the game is over.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 28, 2006 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I'll also add that not saying "ball game" because you cant find permission to do so in your little book is the height of absurdity :D

I honestly believe you need to go back to the top of either thread and reread the posts. The question I raised was that there are people who honestly believe that the umpire is required to declare a ball game is terminated. This belief is the point that I noted as a myth.

I asked if any other association with the exception of NCAA instructs their umpires to make such a declaration.

Absolutely no one has mentioned that they do not use the verbiage because the book to which they refer does not tell them to do so.

wadeintothem Fri Jul 28, 2006 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I honestly believe you need to go back to the top of either thread and reread the posts. The question I raised was that there are people who honestly believe that the umpire is required to declare a ball game is terminated. This belief is the point that I noted as a myth.

I asked if any other association with the exception of NCAA instructs their umpires to make such a declaration.

Absolutely no one has mentioned that they do not use the verbiage because the book to which they refer does not tell them to do so.

Might read the OP... the entire "Question" raised is where this "custom" comes from despite the fact its not in the lil book.

Its not a myth IMO.. some may misunderstand the rule, but I've never had a coach come up to me at the end of a game and say "you didnt say game over the games not over" .. in the way I've had them come up and say "hands are part of the bat"

In any case,

I contend that the "custom" comes from the fact that MOST games are ended this way because:
a) it's not 7 inning game
b) the ump starts the game so some wording should be used to end it.. "closure"
c) just because.. maybe a lack of rudeness as opposed to just wandering off the field without saying something.

To me its entirely irrelevent that:
a) an appeal could be made - thus the game would (possibly) not be over. Thats well known so that would just be handled as an appeal.
b) its not in the book.. so what?

Guess what? I further abuse my authority in timed games beyond just saying "ball game", I usually give a 10 or 15 min warning to both head coaches.. its not in the book, but I go out on a limb and do this just because. The rampant disregard for ASA rules in regards to ending a game begins 10 mins before I call "ball game"