The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Removing helmet on base. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27504-removing-helmet-base.html)

Time_Blue Wed Jul 19, 2006 09:11pm

Removing helmet on base.

During the world cup a player was called out for removing her helmet after the play was over. ASA rules say.... descretion by the umpire should be used in calling her out. Are the ISF rules different from ASA. I agree with the announcers. ....that was a picky call.

wadeintothem Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time_Blue
During the world cup a player was called out for removing her helmet after the play was over. ASA rules say.... descretion by the umpire should be used in calling her out. Are the ISF rules different from ASA. I agree with the announcers. ....that was a picky call.

Probably is a picky rule (i'm not familiar with the ISF rules) .. but in anycase, when you are playing at the level, those calls are going to be made. If the rules read the runner is out, its an out.. and it would be difficult for an umpire to say "im not going to enforce that rule". I doubt the umpire liked making the call, but it would have to be made.

also, if a rule, very bone headed by the runner.

debeau Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:02pm

ISF state simply the runner will be called out on a live ball play if the helmet was removed deliberatley .
I saw this and thought it was a crap out as there was no play on the runner .
The coach could well have had a grounds for a protest , but then most coaches think removeing the helmet at any time is an out .

CecilOne Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:16am

If the rule says "live ball play" and "play was over" means dead ball, is it then a wrong call?

mcrowder Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:57pm

"Play was over" doesn't mean dead ball unless you're playing slowpitch or an umpire actually calls "Time!"

tcblue13 Thu Jul 20, 2006 01:29pm

If we define play like we do on LBR, then something has to be happening on the field such as the D throwing the ball to the fielder closest to the play. Absent this, there is really not a live ball play.

If R1 is stopped on 3B and the ball is thrown leisurly to F4 from F9 as there is no play at first or third and R1 is obviously not attempting to go home. As R1 is standing on the bag, she sees the "non urgency" of the action and takes off her helmet to fix her hair and to pull up her socks. For no reason, F4 rifles the ball to F5 and conks R1 in the head. That might be considered a live ball play even though the assumption would be that F4 would throw the ball to F1. Maybe F4 is fishing for that out. Would USC would be out of the question on F4 since there was no real reason to throw the ball to F5?? I doubt it because the D can throw the ball around if they want as long as they don't unnecessarily delay the game.
Just thinking at the keyboard

CecilOne Thu Jul 20, 2006 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
"Play was over" doesn't mean dead ball unless you're playing slowpitch or an umpire actually calls "Time!"

I was asking about his sitch description, not the rule.

mcrowder Thu Jul 20, 2006 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
I was asking about his sitch description, not the rule.

Ah. I would assume that in a game at this high a level, if the ball was in fact dead when this out was called, then either of the other two umpires would have fixed the situation, and failing that the manager SURELY would have protested. I think it's safe to say the ball wasn't dead.

debeau Thu Jul 20, 2006 02:56pm

In this case ball was alive but no play .
Again this was a crap play and again surprised me no protest was forthcomeing .
If anyone else saw and understood this call please explain .
Please note rules for this do not differ from ASA and ISF

AtlUmpSteve Thu Jul 20, 2006 04:02pm

This wouldn't be the first time you saw someone reach a big tournament and tried to justify their presence by finding something to call, would it?

debeau Thu Jul 20, 2006 06:00pm

Wellllllll !
Yes I suppose umpireing is the same the world over and personalities are cloned also .

SWFLguy Thu Jul 20, 2006 09:36pm

I was a bit amazed at the call.
The umpire that made it was "looking for things".
Officials like that should not be working at high levels !
Just my 2¢ !!

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06pm

LBR and the parameters surrounding that rule have nothing to do with this.

Antonella Fri Jul 21, 2006 07:14am

It's a safety rule (and nothing more)

Rule 3 - EQUIPMENT
Sec.6: PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
f. Helmet
(...)
2) Deliberately wearing the helmet improperly or deliberately removing the helmet during a live
ball play, except on a home run hit over the fence, and seen by the umpire as a deliberate act shall
cause the violator to be declared out immediately. The ball remains live.
EXCEPTION 6-f-2: If a thrown or batted ball contacts the deliberately removed helmet, the ball becomes dead and
runners must return to the last base held at the time of such contact.
NOTE: Calling a runner out for removing a helmet deliberately does not cancel any force play situation.

This is ISF.
See what? You cannot find this ruling under Rule 8.
Nothing like 'Runner is out when...'

That do MEANS something to me.

Ciao

tcannizzo Fri Jul 21, 2006 07:49am

I could understand if this was youth ball, but I don't see why this rule has to exist at the adult level. They can wear jewlery, don't have to wear face masks or chin straps. What's up with this one?:confused: