The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

One pitch Strikeout?

I was UIC for a tourney the other weekend, and I had an umpire "bragging" about getting a one-pitch strikeout. here's how it went down:

Called strike one on first pitch. Batter step out of the batters box.

She steps back in, smooths some dirt, and kicks some dirt on the inside line (not erasing, but getting "a little dirt" on the line). Called strike two for erasing line.

She steps out to ask coach what is going on (14year old girl, B or lower level FP) and blue calls strike three for stepping out of the batters box.

Is this a misapplication of the rule or not? Blue tried to tell me that I, me, the UIC, said it was supposed to be called this way in a HS clinic...I don't think so!
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Certainly a misapplication of common sense.

Stepping out of the box in a HS clinic? Was this a HS tourney?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming NFHS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBLUE
She steps back in, smooths some dirt, and kicks some dirt on the inside line (not erasing, but getting "a little dirt" on the line). Called strike two for erasing line.
Definite misapplication of the rule. The rule speaks of intentionally removing the lines, not unintentionally getting dirt on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBLUE
She steps out to ask coach what is going on (14year old girl, B or lower level FP) and blue calls strike three for stepping out of the batters box.
Again, misapplication of the rule. NFHS, she may be charged with delay if she is not ready within 20 seconds, and then a strike charged, but even then an warning should be issued first.

This guy sounds like a piece of work to me.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Sometimes my memory fails me - Doesn't the rule also state that there's a team warning on the first offense and a coach and player leaving the facility on the second offense?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Sometimes my memory fails me - Doesn't the rule also state that there's a team warning on the first offense and a coach and player leaving the facility on the second offense?
Not quite. Team warning on the first offense. Head coach is restricted to the bench if the offense is repeated. Player is not ejected.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'd just like to see it called. I saw one player (who was preparing to slap) methodically erase the front (i.e. pitcher's end) line of the box on her first at bat in two different games (I say methodically because it took her three tosses with her foot to make sure the line was covered, though she mixed in a couple of non-profitable earth moves, too). PU, standing right behind F2, said nothing. During second game, opposing coach calls time and asks about player obscuring the line... "Didn't see it, Coach." This is the second or third batter in the top of the first inning, with fresh lines...
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
I'd just like to see it called. I saw one player (who was preparing to slap) methodically erase the front (i.e. pitcher's end) line of the box on her first at bat in two different games (I say methodically because it took her three tosses with her foot to make sure the line was covered, though she mixed in a couple of non-profitable earth moves, too). PU, standing right behind F2, said nothing. During second game, opposing coach calls time and asks about player obscuring the line... "Didn't see it, Coach." This is the second or third batter in the top of the first inning, with fresh lines...
Personally, I want that thing erased as quickly as possible! One of our more veteran umpires in this area made the statement about that rule is "they'll have to move fast to erase it before me".

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

OK - I'm going to show my ignorance to the FP game - but what is the advantage of actually getting closer to the pitcher?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzme415
OK - I'm going to show my ignorance to the FP game - but what is the advantage of actually getting closer to the pitcher?
Well, unless you have either a very bad pitcher or a pitcher with a wicked drop, the batter's don't actually stand at the front of the box. What they do is start toward the back and run forward as the pitch is released for either a drag bunt or a slap.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 06:54am
goldcoastump

This guy must have a burr under his saddle!!!!!!
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Slappers want to get to the ball before it gets seriously into its movement... it also gives them another step toward 1B, which helps if the ball drops in front of F1 or F5.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as i know its only a rule in Fed ball.. other than that, its no call anyway. Most umpires probably dont care, IMO because so much time is spent behind F2 without a line, its nonessentially. Most tournaments I work the only game that has lines to begin with are the first game of the day and MAYBE they rechalk the field for the championship game .. other than that no lines. Or you work rec type games where there are no lines or Baseball box lines that you have to erase yourself.. It just becomes a non issue; unessentail to my judgement of hitting the ball outside the box.

There are times when I've put a line off to the side of the box front where no one usually notices just as a reference point especially if I've observed a slapper who may be pushing the limits. If I worried about having a unobscured front line of the batters box, there would be many long games.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I understand that you can't see lines that have worn away during the course of the game. But to have a batter deliberately remove a line so that the reference point isn't there at the beginning of the game?? Why even have the line drawn?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand that you can't see lines that have worn away during the course of the game. But to have a batter deliberately remove a line so that the reference point isn't there at the beginning of the game?? Why even have the line drawn?
Thats a good point in theory, there just isnt a rule against it (NFHS excepted) and you'll see it at many different levels where it isnt a rule.

I'll just go on record to say I dont want to see it a rule in ASA either. Just nit picky stuff I dont like to deal with.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 10:48pm.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Thats a good point in theory, there just isnt a rule against it (NFHS excepted) and you'll see it at many different levels where it isnt a rule.

I'll just go on record to say I dont want to see it a rule in ASA either. Just more nit picky stuff I dont like to deal with.

Amen to that!!