The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Intentionally Dropped Line Drive? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27254-intentionally-dropped-line-drive.html)

dweezil24 Thu Jun 29, 2006 02:40pm

Intentionally Dropped Line Drive?

Okay, this happened in an ESSSA game, so maybe they have some wierd rule on this (they've got plenty). A friend told me this happened to his team.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Line drive to F6. F6 knocks it down on purpose and tries to turn a DP. The PU calls everybody safe because F6 "intentionally dropped the ball". Ever hear of this? Even if it was some wierd take on IFR, it should have been an out on the batter...

I told him I'd check it out with the experts. Ever hear of this?

mcrowder Thu Jun 29, 2006 02:50pm

There IS an intentionally dropped ball rule in most rule sets, but the batter would be out, and R1 placed safely back on first base. Without the ESSSA book, I cannot tell you if theirs is different.

Dakota Thu Jun 29, 2006 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweezil24
Okay, this happened in an ESSSA game, so maybe they have some wierd rule on this (they've got plenty).

Is that the Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America? I imagine they would have some pretty earth-shaking rules! :D

dweezil24 Thu Jun 29, 2006 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Is that the Eastern Section of the Seismological Society of America? I imagine they would have some pretty earth-shaking rules! :D

Whoops, USSSA, sorry. So used to calling them "the red shirts" I forgot their acronym.

shave-tail Thu Jun 29, 2006 05:40pm

Ah, the intentionally dropped ball rule. One of my favorites. I really dislike the way this rule is set up. The umpire has no recourse if the defense tries this. The only thing that can happen is that (hopefully) the umpire is on their game and understands the rule, calls it right away, and even then will be yelled at. I would like to see the runners advance 1 base if the defense attempts this little trick so the they will see no need to even try it.

HawkeyeCubP Thu Jun 29, 2006 06:12pm

HTBT, but as the OP reads, I don't think this is an intentionally dropped ball, at least by the ASA rule set. (I am, however, completely uneducated on USSA, so I don't know there.)

ASA POE 30 clarifies that the ball must actually be caught and then dropped. Unless the knocking to the ground involves the outside (perhaps backside, as I've seen done many times) of the glove and the fielder's other hand guiding/knocking the ball down, I don't have an intentionally dropped ball in this situation in ASA, since it's physically impossible to catch a ball for an out using only the backside of the glove without the assistance of the other hand.

CecilOne Thu Jun 29, 2006 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
HTBT, but as the OP reads, I don't think this is an intentionally dropped ball, at least by the ASA rule set. (I am, however, completely uneducated on USSA, so I don't know there.)

ASA POE 30 clarifies that the ball must actually be caught and then dropped. Unless the knocking to the ground involves the outside (perhaps backside, as I've seen done many times) of the glove and the fielder's other hand guiding/knocking the ball down, I don't have an intentionally dropped ball in this situation in ASA, since it's physically impossible to catch a ball for an out using only the backside of the glove without the assistance of the other hand.

When I started umpiring I thought it meant handled and intentionally missed. Now that I know it has to be caught first, then dropped, I imagine even fewer occurences. The catch is a catch, batter out.
I guess the application is if the ball is then dropped to confuse the runner(s), it's a dead ball, so runners are protected. Sort of like IFR.
I might have called this at some time, but don't remember one.