The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Miss a base in reverse (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27143-miss-base-reverse.html)

Yeggman Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:33am

Miss a base in reverse

ASA FP. Bases loaded. 1 out. I'm PU. B4 hits a long fly ball to left. All the runners take off once the ball's in the air 'cause they are thinking that there's no way F7 is gonna catch it. But she runs it down and does catch it. Out 2. R1 from third had touched home but by the time she realized what was going on, F7 had thrown the ball to F5 who touched third for out 3, which I called. NOW...at the same time as F7's throw to F5, R2 from second, who had touched third base, runs directly to 2nd base without retouching third. Once she reaches 2nd base, and at the same time as I called out 3 on R1, my BU partner calls R2 out (what for?, I thought). No one noticed his call 'cause they were all watching the throw to third base to put out R1.

Between innings, BU was explaining that since she missed a base in reverse, once she touches the next base she's automatically out. What? Is this true? Don't have rule book with me, but I thought she had to be appealed for an out just as if she missed base running in forward direction. (Not that it mattered in this play, but what if we had no outs at TOP...?)

mcrowder Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:32pm

No - he's wrong. The miss of 3rd base would have to be appealled properly by the defense for an out to be called.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jun 21, 2006 01:18pm

Give a lot of bonus points for the ingenuity of making up that ruling; it isn't the standard level run-of-the-mill made up ruling.

Ask him for a rules citation? This could be good.

tcblue13 Wed Jun 21, 2006 01:36pm

Two outs on the appeal at third
1 for leaving early and the second for failing to retouch on the retreat.
Her route back to second took her way out of the basepath to avoid being tagged by F5
There is a third out
oops Don't forget the initial catch a forth out

Reverse the order of two appeal outs and make sure that the runner at third is the third out so that no subsequent runners can score since the second appeal would be a timing play, R3's run might count. We would not want that to happen.

I have a TP baby:D :D :D

Mountaineer Wed Jun 21, 2006 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcblue13
Two outs on the appeal at third
1 for leaving early and the second for failing to retouch on the retreat.
Her route back to second took her way out of the basepath to avoid being tagged by F5
There is a third out
oops Don't forget the initial catch a forth out

Reverse the order of two appeal outs and make sure that the runner at third is the third out so that no subsequent runners can score since the second appeal would be a timing play, R3's run might count. We would not want that to happen.

I have a TP baby:D :D :D

OK, that was a little difficult for me to follow and now I have a headache!:)