The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Here is one that caused a stir this weekend (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26994-here-one-caused-stir-weekend.html)

baldgriff Mon Jun 12, 2006 08:47am

Here is one that caused a stir this weekend

Bottom 7th tie score -- bases loaded -- 1 out.

Batter hits line shot that lands in front of RF. Batter does not run to first. Runner at first runs home and touches plate. R1 and R2 see R3 score and do not finish running to there base.

RF throws the ball in to 1B who touches first.

Umpire calls the out at 1b and calls the game.

What do you all think? Is there any potential out to be called that could be the 3rd out and cancel the game winning run?

The losing team went ballistic because they believed R1 and R2 should be called out for not completing their advance.

LMan Mon Jun 12, 2006 09:24am

How can the 'runner at first' run home without R1 and R2 touching ahead of her? Did the runner at first pass them? Or did you mean 'runner at third?'

Perhaps R1 or R2 could be rung up for abandonment prior to the putout at 1B. That would be 3 outs.

But why would the losing team want their own runners called out for abandonment?

Your post is too confusing.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 12, 2006 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldgriff
Bottom 7th tie score -- bases loaded -- 1 out.

Batter hits line shot that lands in front of RF. Batter does not run to first. Runner at first runs home and touches plate. R1 and R2 see R3 score and do not finish running to there base.

RF throws the ball in to 1B who touches first.

Umpire calls the out at 1b and calls the game.

What do you all think? Is there any potential out to be called that could be the 3rd out and cancel the game winning run?

The losing team went ballistic because they believed R1 and R2 should be called out for not completing their advance.

No, not once the BR was retired

celebur Mon Jun 12, 2006 09:48am

There are different nomenclatures at work here, it seems. The OP must have meant that R3 is the runner at third, R2 is at 2nd, and R1 at 1st. So when R3 scored, it was the winning run.

The defense screwed up--they should have gone for two force outs, which would have prevented the run from scoring. But once they got the force on the BR, that was no longer possible.

baldgriff Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:36am

OOOPs my bad. Yes runner at 3rd cam home. Just real tired. I did 22 games this weekend all one man during a Natl Q. This play was being talked about the rest of the evening on Saturday and again on Sunday.

LMan Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:09pm

Well, Mike and co. figured it out as it stood, so I must be the dense one :D

I'm curious as to the possibility of an abandonment call here, as the losing team wanted to see. If R2 or R3 called out for abandonment before R3 touches the plate, and then b/r thrown at first, no run scores?

Just musing.

mcrowder Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:46pm

How could you possibly have R1 or R2 out for abandonment prior to R3 scoring? They didn't abandon (according to OP) until they saw the run score. And abandonment is not typically a call that is made while the ball is still being thrown around in any case.

Technically, I suppose the cases could be made that the runners eventually abandoned their bases, and called out, but since BR was put out at first, these outs would be timing plays after the run had scored, and thus irrelevant.

baldgriff Mon Jun 12, 2006 01:03pm

Well I agree with all of you guys.

There is no rule that says the runner has to go directly to 2nd base from first or to 3rd from 2nd. Otherwise we would be calling baseline infractions for every player that rounds the bag to wide. The losing team was grasping at straws out of the baseline, abandonment. All of the options they were choosing were options that did not change the run scoring before the last out.

Anyway, this play was talked about for the whole weekend. Anyone that asked me about it was told. I didnt see the play, but from what I heard the rule was applied correctly. The only option the defense had was to get the force at 2nd and then 1st.

The ruling was upheld by the UIC of the tourney. Needless to say, the ump making that call was under the gun for every game from there out. I feel bad for the guy, since he is a friend of mine. He got verbally berated over and over again for making the correct call.

LMan Mon Jun 12, 2006 01:31pm

ok, ok. I was just musing, didnt say it made any sense ;)

RE: your friend, sorry but not surprised to hear. Comes with the territory.

Dakota Mon Jun 12, 2006 01:39pm

Quote:

He got verbally berated over and over again for making the correct call.

Why did he put up with this?

baldgriff Mon Jun 12, 2006 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Why did he put up with this?

What option does he have? There are people watching his games not players in the game at hand per se. He seemed to have a call in 3/4 of his games that were big ones at crucial times in the game. I think he handled himself pretty well, but you could see it wearing on him.

Dakota Mon Jun 12, 2006 02:27pm

Quote:

What option does he have?

OK, I am hearing you describe a constant barrage of abusive comments directed at the umpire. If it was not that, then disregard...

If they were fans of one of the teams in the game, have a discussion with the coach. Ask for his help in controlling his fans.

Suspend the game until either the TD handles it or the coach does.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 12, 2006 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
I'm curious as to the possibility of an abandonment call here, as the losing team wanted to see. If R2 or R3 called out for abandonment before R3 touches the plate, and then b/r thrown at first, no run scores?

Speaking ASA

There is nothing in the book ruling a BR/R out for abandoning a base, effort or whatever. The BR/R would be called out for entering DBT.

baldgriff Mon Jun 12, 2006 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
OK, I am hearing you describe a constant barrage of abusive comments directed at the umpire. If it was not that, then disregard...

If they were fans of one of the teams in the game, have a discussion with the coach. Ask for his help in controlling his fans.

Suspend the game until either the TD handles it or the coach does.

Yeah doing that would have been virtually impossible. The only thing he could do was to do exactly what he did. Try to ignore it. It toned down after a while, but he just never caught a break all weekend long.

Mountaineer Mon Jun 12, 2006 08:57pm

Had this in a HS game a few years ago - only difference was the winning run was walked in. According to NF ruling, the only players that need to complete their passage to the next base was the BR and R3. If there had been 2 outs and the BR did not touch first - they could have put her out, but not R2 and R1.