that pulled this one me. UIC had told us
at pre tournament meeting that we would
honor all request for check swings regard-
less of position of partner.

My partner in C position, batter checks her
swing and in MO did not go. I hollered "NO
SHE DID NOT GO". Naturally catcher asked
for the ...check with your partner blue? I
did, and he hollered back YES, she went....
THANK YOU PARTNER.

Gave Partner the Joel look........

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner should have taken the hint. But why did you holler, "NO SHE DID NOT GO"? A simple, "Ball", would suffice. When you believe the batter swung, "YES. SHE WENT".

Bob
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

glen.........I agree with Bob..........

The "no he/she didn't go" is more of a baseball mechanic........

I prefer the just plain "ball" call no matter where my partner is.........

If the catcher blocks my view of a check swing........I will usually check with my partner before being asked........

This got me in a world of trouble a few years ago when I did this with a partner who was not only clueless........but in "C" position.

He signaled strike..........."and later told me he did not have a clue.......but figured if I asked it had to be a strike"........go figure...........ouch

If I am in any position on the field...."A" or "B" or "C".........I am going to have to be DAMN sure that the batter offered at the pitch before I give the strike call in that situation.........(but I will always give what I see).

Here is a statistical analysis (more than you ever wanted to know.........but darn intersting)

This is quoted by Tee (Tim) Allen Christensen........who if not one of the most knowledgable Internet Umpires (he should be).........Tee is one funny author and although he claims to be not the best rules guru (I think he is right up there).............grin

Study #1 was done by the American Optical Association funded by MLB.

AOA was given 10,000 video clips of checked swings. The were also given the definition of "checked" swing and the mechanics of the call.

The study was told to go by the legal definition of "checked swing" . . . they were trained for three days on what the rule meant.

After viewing the 10,000 clips "universial" scoring by the professional viewers was that 90% of the checked swings were, in fact, not checked and should have been called strikes.

This study was published in the American Optical Journal and was referred to in The Sporting News sometime in the last two years.

The second study ("off-side" help) was done by a group of NCAA people. Carl Childress has related to the study several times. I do not know if there is a printed version of the study up the results are almost identical to what Peter posts below.

The study decided that even though the "off-side" umpire had a better view in almost all case it was fruitless to try to change a system that was so deeply rooted.

I realize that my post above was rather harsh on Jim (hey, I know he can handle it) but my energy comes from the continuing battle about this issue.

It is my OPINION that an umpire that says he has too poor an angle to call a checked swing when in the "off-side" position is simply reneging on responsibility.

IOW ......... what Tee is saying..........go to your partner, wherever he/she is............they can give you more valuable information than you thought possible.

I am still in the camp of .......... if you are the BU and thought the B offered.........call it a strike........if they didn't .......... it's a BIG safe sign......NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE ON THE FIELD.

If you have not had the pleasure of reading some of Tee's writings............you have to at least check out my favorite..........."Game Managment".......it is the last in the handout section.

The website tthat Tee wrote with is linked at the beginning of the article so you can peruse some of his other writings..........read them all..........you won't be disappointed.

Joel

http://www.eteamz.com/sites/GCBUmpire/handouts

Click on the handout by Tee.........you will not regret it!!!...........grin

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Jul 23rd, 2001 at 09:37 PM]
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 11:25am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up yup.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Your partner should have taken the hint. But why did you holler, "NO SHE DID NOT GO"? A simple, "Ball", would suffice. When you believe the batter swung, "YES. SHE WENT".

Bob
Bob,
I agree with you and Joel.
Call "Ball". That's plenty.
The less we over-sell calls, the better off we are when we really need to sell one.
It's that "Wolf!" thing.
mick

Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Ok I have learned another lesson.

Thank you....Bob....Joel and mick...

Damn losing all my bad habits...grin

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

glen..........I know of other individuals who use the "NO - She Didn't Go" mechanic........I know there are even some strong advocates for it out there........

I think that Bob, mick and me just pointed out a different view........

If your top dogs want you to use it.........you may be better off staying with what your group wants you to do.

I think that with a good partner........(see my clueless example above....grin).....y'all should have no problem with going for help on a check swing.

Joel