The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Asa Sp Camp?

Did anyone attend or know anyone that did? How did it go? Will they do it again?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I went and it was worthwhile. There were 26 people who attended and 6 instructors. Bernie Profato, Kevin Ryan, Phil Gutierrez, Mike Deleo, Larry Montgomery and Dick Gaylor. Classroom and on field instruction all day and called games at night finishing with a Hooters c and d qualifier on Saturday. This was the first one and allthough there were a few things that could have been done a bit better all in all it was a very good camp and they seem committed to improving and making it work. There will be one next year and it is supposed to be in Kileen, TX.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmp
I went and it was worthwhile. There were 26 people who attended and 6 instructors. Bernie Profato, Kevin Ryan, Phil Gutierrez, Mike Deleo, Larry Montgomery and Dick Gaylor. Classroom and on field instruction all day and called games at night finishing with a Hooters c and d qualifier on Saturday. This was the first one and allthough there were a few things that could have been done a bit better all in all it was a very good camp and they seem committed to improving and making it work. There will be one next year and it is supposed to be in Kileen, TX.
Really? Dick told me that the first couple of years would be in the Atlanta area and then start moving them around. Personally, I think Killeen may not be a good move. Just a personal opinion, could be wrong.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I also went. They did say that it would be in Texas next year. I am hoping to convince some of my Nebraska umpire friends to attend. It was kind of neat to walk off the field and get direct feedback from instructors of that quality. I also sat with Phil as he was watching and evaluating umps on the field. I think I learned alot just sitting there listening to him and talking about what he was looking for. Worked the championship game of the D tournment with a Tommy Borucki from New Jersey who e-mailed soon after the camp that he was selected to the Hooters seris this year.

Jeff Merriman
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I attended the FP school in Killeen. It was nice. The staff down there works hard to get it done. Hot. But its Texas.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_bawls
I attended the FP school in Killeen. It was nice. The staff down there works hard to get it done. Hot. But its Texas.
I know Killeen does a good job. My concern is it's location as it pertains to the location of a mass of SP umpires AND teams!