The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Ms

well, there's a huge storm here this morning, so it looks like the weekend is over for ball ... here's a call i blew yesterday ...

Regarding ... 'a runner cannot pass a preceding runner'.
- the runner that gets passed is not out.
- the runner that passed the other runner is out.

Right???

10-11 year olds.

- R1 on 1B.
- B-R hits a high fly ball between short and 2nd.
- R1 is almost at 2B when she decides F6 will catch it, so she turns around & heads back to 1B.
- F6 misplays ... the ball is on the ground.
- So, B-R rounds 1st, heads for 2B and passes R1 heading back to 1B.
- R2 stops before 2B, wondering what to do. R1 is now back on 1B.
- Lots of cheering and coaches screaming instructions.

- F6 tosses to 2nd in time so I call out on the 'force' ... ("Call the out and fix this after that." I'm thinking.)

- So, I have R2 on 2B and R1 on 1B. For some reason, my brain freezes and I declared R1 out for being passed.

Of course, offense agrees, defence disagrees ... at that point, I just said I made the call and it will stand. I think I got that wrong.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, you got it wrong.

When BR passes R1, BR is immediately out. As you said, the runner doing the passing (in this case the BR) is the one called out. It is a live ball. Point at the BR and call out “Passing the runner, Batter is Out!” and allow play to continue.

Now since BR is out, there is no force out at 2B on R1. If she has retreated to 1B she can safely remain there.

If, after passing each other, if both BR and R1 had reversed course and R1 had gone to 2B and BR had retreated to 1B, there would still not be a force at 2B because BR is still out and the force is removed. R1 would have to be tagged off base to be out.

ASA 8-7-D and POE #39, NFHS 8-6-4, LLSoftball 7.08(g)

Note: An exception in NFHS ball only, the runner doing the passing is NOT out if the runner being passed was previously obstructed. Example:

R1 at 1B. Base hit through the infield. R1 takes off for 2B but runs into F3 who is in her path. R1 and F3 both fall to the ground. BU signals delayed dead ball. BR rounds 1B and passes R1 and F3.

Ruling: In NFHS: no call, allow play to continue. At the end of playing action, BR and R1 are placed at the bases that, in the umpire’s judgment, would have been reached had there been no obstruction. That might be R1 at 2B and BR at 1B, or it might be R1 at 3B and BR at 2B. It’s your call.

In ASA or LL ball, BR would have been out for passing R1 and the ball would remain alive. At the end of play R1 would be placed at the base that, in the umpire’s judgment, would have been reached had there been no obstruction.

Ernie
Anchorage, AK

BTW, if you are rained out, check out ESPN.. NCAA D-1 Super Regionals are on TV today.

Last edited by UmpireErnie; Sun May 28, 2006 at 08:09pm.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie
Yep, you got it wrong.

When BR passes R1, R1 is immediately out.
Agree with everything except what I think is a typo on your part: BR is out as supported by everything else you posted.

Bobrix - I think in your description, you have BR "turn into" R2 when they touched first base. In describing plays like this, it is traditional that the BR stays the BR for the whole play. Likewise, if a play had started with the bases loaded, R2 would not turn into R1 if an out was made.
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Agree with everything except what I think is a typo on your part

Yep, a type, but a big one! I have corrected it..

Thanks!
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

In describing plays like this, it is traditional that the BR stays the BR for the whole play.

Thanks, Dan ... I wondered about that as I was writing it ... Bob