The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   That time of year (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26664-time-year.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 21, 2006 08:34am

That time of year

Just a couple of things from yesterday's NCAAs.

PU in Mo. St. & SDSU game seemed to be making some ball/strike calls as the ball was hitting the mitt;

Same game, Mo. St. pitcher stopped in the middle of her delivery and the male announcer (obviously with zero softball experience) immediately, and loudly, declared the pitcher "balked". His female sidekick did refer to the act as an IP, however, only heard her refer to the runner being allowed to move up and didn't say anything about a ball on the batter;

Arizona v Auburn game, pitcher for Az (Mowatt) seemed to be continually moving outside the "H". Not just a little be, but quite obvious. Yes, I know that isn't going to be called at that level, just making a comment.

AtlUmpSteve Sun May 21, 2006 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Arizona v Auburn game, pitcher for Az (Mowatt) seemed to be continually moving outside the "H". Not just a little be, but quite obvious. Yes, I know that isn't going to be called at that level, just making a comment.

I haven't seen her pitch; either in person or on TV. But, it SHOULD be called, ESPECIALLY at that level, if it as obvious as you seem to think.

dtref Sun May 21, 2006 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I haven't seen her pitch; either in person or on TV. But, it SHOULD be called, ESPECIALLY at that level, if it as obvious as you seem to think.

I noticed it as well. Since, I don't do college softball, I thought maybe it was legal at that level.

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 21, 2006 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

It was obvious to me, but remember, I'm watching on TV and I wouldn't doubt she has always pitched like this since getting to AZ and probably hasn't been called on it.

As a BU, I'm certainly not going to make that call. Like I said, the PU seemed to be early on some calls. He also went down early on a few pitches, even before the pitcher got her signal. So, he is probably totally focused on the ball.

SC Ump Sun May 21, 2006 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
...So, he is probably totally focused on the ball.

I presume that outside the "H" is outside the width of the pitching plate.

At times I have believed that a pitcher is stepping with her non-pivot foot to a place outside the lane. Since her step is simil..., simultan..., at the same time as her delivery of the ball, I have burned myself at times paying too much attention to the step and not enough to the ball coming in.

Are there tricks or techniques to help in monitoring the step while still focusing on the pitch?

oppool Sun May 21, 2006 07:47pm

I am sure no expert on this but have been told by umps that call at this level on the pitcher stepping outside the "H" is that you dont call it at this level that it is impossible to see the step and the ball the fraction of the second the pitch comes in and if you are going to error and stay calling at this level it better be missing the step going out of the "H" over what is happening to the ball at the plate.

Did also note the male commentor "Balk" call and notice he seemed lost when the runner got awarded a base.

Also in the OU vs Mich game there was a call at 1st which after slow mo replay it looked that the BU missed the call but I thought it was very unfair for ESPN to rerun the play several times while the announcer were saying the ump blew that one then the camara did a close-up on the ump. Very uncalled for in my opinion

JMO

Don