The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Baseball player ejected... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26599-baseball-player-ejected.html)

baldgriff Wed May 17, 2006 11:57am

Baseball player ejected...

Interesting vid of a college kid acting like he got HBP. Then ejected after a K on the next pitch.

What some kids will do to keep up the act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26axJ...Brian%20Walker

coachsara Wed May 17, 2006 03:04pm

figures...

Arkansas boy...

oneonone Wed May 17, 2006 08:47pm

15 seconds of fame. Awful young to have nothing to look foreward to.

tcblue13 Wed May 17, 2006 11:25pm

Imagine how his coach felt after viewing the video.

This brings up a question.
I noticed that blue in the video was jawing just as much as the coach and at the same time. Is this a B***ball thing?
We were taught in clinics and state officiating meetings to listen to the coach, offer what we saw, if the coach wants to jaw more, give the hands up "that's enogh coach, let's play ball."

We were told in no uncertain terms not to argue with a coach

CecilOne Thu May 18, 2006 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcblue13
Imagine how his coach felt after viewing the video.

This brings up a question.
I noticed that blue in the video was jawing just as much as the coach and at the same time. Is this a B***ball thing?
We were taught in clinics and state officiating meetings to listen to the coach, offer what we saw, if the coach wants to jaw more, give the hands up "that's enogh coach, let's play ball."

We were told in no uncertain terms not to argue with a coach

You are correct.
On the positive side, I also noticed one BU hustle to get between the player and PU.

UmpireErnie Thu May 18, 2006 04:37pm

I think we can all be guilty of falling into the trap of trying to convince the coach or player that we are right and they are wrong. I find that I can end many “discussions” fairly quickly by simply refusing to argue.

Perfect example happened during first week of high school ball here this year. Batter squares to bunt but the pitch is very high. For some reason she goes after the ball, pushing the bat up in the air to about eye level, and missing. I point at the batter and say “She went!” and signal a strike.

Head coach in 3B coaches box requests time and comes to chat.

Coach: “How can that be a strike, Ernie? It was over her head!”
Me: “The player made an attempt to bunt the ball. That’s a strike.”
Coach: “Ernie, listen, I have studied this, I know.. if she doesn’t attempt in the strike zone it can’t be a strike”. (????)
Me: “OK coach, but I still have an 0-1 count, let’s play ball.”

Off the coach goes and the game continues. I had no need to convince the coach of anything.

blu_bawls Mon May 22, 2006 08:42pm

This is, in my opinion, the worse display of sportmanship I have EVER seen in NCAA Baseball.

Brian Walker is the team captain for gosh sakes.

Terrible.

Blu_IN Mon May 22, 2006 11:40pm

Response

While I try not to get into a shouting match with a player/coach, if you pull a bush league move like that, then wave a bat in my direction after you strike out, I wouldn't be listening and responding either. I would have given him a good vocal ripping of my own.

Blu

IRISHMAFIA Tue May 23, 2006 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu_IN
While I try not to get into a shouting match with a player/coach, if you pull a bush league move like that, then wave a bat in my direction after you strike out, I wouldn't be listening and responding either. I would have given him a good vocal ripping of my own.

Blu

Why? What can an umpire possibly accomplish by "ripping" anyone on the field?

blueump Tue May 23, 2006 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu_IN

Blu

Not me...toss him is all I got. Let that stand on its own. Rather keep my mouth shut and make people wonder if I'm a fool than open my trap and remove all doubt!

bush league act = bush league shower!