The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   I've Seen It All!! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26590-ive-seen-all.html)

bkbjones Fri May 19, 2006 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmandog
So if I concede the point on shorts, How do you feel about out of shape overweight officials?

I have resisted the urge all day to respond to this and other statements, because I generally detest prejudice. But that's what it is, and I will respond anyway.

I have seen it and been subjected to it. I would definitely fit in the "round" category. Mine is a long story and I won't bore you with everything...I need to write a book ... because you obviously don't give a rat's ***. You just see a "fat guy" and think we can't do our job, et cetera et cetera.

Trust me, I know and have heard all the et ceteras. Let's see, what have I run into ...

"Can't put you on that game. It's appearances, ya know? You understand, right." Of course, I just shake my head.

"Can't put you out there on the field with him/her. Him/her thinks you can't pull your load. I know you can, but him/her did (high level TV tournament) and I respect his/her wishes."

On and on and on. There's more, but I will spare you. Of course the fact that I am one hell of an umpire, that I go out of my way to be sure my shirts and pants and shoes and hats and ball bags and brushes and indicators and lineup card holders and pencils and socks and McDavids (yes, they do make them in my size) are in excellent order (because they are supposed to be - it's call uniform for a reason), that I can get to where I need to be EVERY time (and get there surprisingly quickly) doesn't make a bit of difference to folks like you because of one thing: prejudice.

Good umpires come in all shapes and sizes - and so do not so good umpires. Being HWP doesn't make one a good umpire. Hell, it doesn't even mean good health. A good friend of mine had a big scare recently. He's 6-1 and about 180, doesn't drink, doesn't smoke. He was a walking heart attack because his cholesterol was over 500.

Some might say, fine, exercise, do whatever, lose it. Wish I could. I was the white hat (referee for those who aren't football officials) in a game about 15 years ago in TX...opening game of the season, two good 5A teams. Got hurt. Saw a quack in the ER. Gave me some medicine and a prescription for same. Turns out we had a little toxic shock deal that ruined me...plus almost lost my leg. Another quack put me on the wrong kind of steroids. Next thing you know I look like Alvin the chipmunk. Oh, did I mention the eight skin grafts and the other surgeries?

I will never get my old body back, but I did work HARD for YEARS to get back to where I can umpire. Of course I will never set foot on an NCAA field. Hell, maybe never another national, or regional, or a HS playoff game Who knows? I might get hit by the beer truck on the way to the 7-11 for a Slurpee, three bags of chips and a couple ice creams (did I leave anything out?). Of course, never will I escape the stereotypes and prejudices.

But you know something else? I will NEVER let folks like you prevent me from having fun out there on the diamond with an avocation I love.

Skahtboi Fri May 19, 2006 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
One thing I like about doing college FP is that every single guy I work with cares about dress, mechanics, and decorum.

That's because we have to!

Skahtboi Fri May 19, 2006 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmandog
How do you feel about out of shape overweight officials?

Bottom line is, some of those officials you deem to be overweight and out shape, may be physically in better shape than you are.

I go to the gym faithfully, 4-6 times a week. I do weight training and aerobic training. I run 5 miles in an hour 3-4 times a week. I don't eat all that much. Yet at 6'2", I am still unable to break that 220 barrier, and even with all the crunches that I do, I still have a noticeable gut. I am no where near out of shape, but the shape that genetics deems "in shape" for me, is not the "ideal" shape to be in. :D

So, your prejudices sometimes bely other aspects of your character. Not saying that it is true in your case, just "food" for thought.