The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

A couple of posts in one here...........

Forgot this one in my previous brain dump.

Some observations from my only plate game in the 18U State tournament.....

One of the things I have learned on these boards is how to handle catchers..........Steve and Mike have given some great advice that I have taken to heart........

I love my catchers.......I tell them (and only them) where a pitch was..........and how to get the next one called a strike........i.e. The famous Steve......"1 inch more to the inside/outside and that is a strike"

BUUUTTTTTTT........one of the other things I have learned is that catchers can also cause their pitchers problems.....

There have been many times I have seen experienced pitchers position their catchers to give me a better look at the plate..........they know I have to see it to call it.......

Case in point.........Undefeated game........me plate......

The winning teams catcher sets up for just about every pitch on the LH side of the plate......(unless she is calling a pitch outside of the strikezone)........great for LH batters but sucks for the RHers

She did not set up over the center or on the outer edge.......but damn near every time on the inside part of the plate.......I moved out to get a good look at the outside corner......but when the batter is crowding and the catcher is set up inside........it is tough to call that borderline outside pitch.........

When she did set up outside (and it was always waaaayyyy outside)........she attempted to "pull" everyone of those pitches over the plate.......EVERYONE.....coaches, fans, etc......knew what she was doing.......I never had one complaint on a ball or strike call from her coaches or fans........

However.............once she set up on the typical inside pitch.......(about 4-5" inside) and the pitcher nailed it.............BUTTT.....it was still 4-5" inside..........

This catcher "held" this pitch for a GOOD 2 seconds...........and THEN she turned her glove 180 degrees to show me the ball..............

I quickly told her that I knew where the pitch was........

As she threw the ball back to F1........I bent over a little and told her (in a quiet voice that I was NOT going to put up with her "holding", much less "showing" me a pitch that both she and I knew was 5" out of the strikezone.........the only thing I regret was that I did not call time and clean the plate when I told her this..........grin

I heard a "gulp" and a ........."Yes Sir"......

No problems from her the rest of the game........but I have a strong belief that coaches should umpire at least one game behind their catcher........a good one will get you strikes.........a bad one will cost you.

They may be great defensively.......and not let anything by them.......and be great on pick-offs and such.......but if they cost your pitcher strikes because they are all over the place.........................(and the bad thing is.........just a few little tips can turn a bad one into a "good" one)

Lastly..........I don't know if I told this one here.........or just to some of the local guys.........

In a game last weekend at a Metro tournament........Lauren was catching.............Pitch looked like a belt high strike over the outside corner of the plate........just where she set up for it.........the PU called a ball........her coach calling signals hollered out the dreaded words.........."Where was that Lauren"?

She said "It was Outside".............I never felt so proud..................

Joel

Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Joel,
Coupl'a items of response. Lauren just made some PU's day and I'll bet she didn't see any borderline pitches go against her the rest of the game - whether batting or catching. Next, I offer several of the local high school coaches my availability during one of their early practices to work with their catchers & show them how we umps want to be worked with. Nobody took advantage this year, but I'm hoping that a couple will next year.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Joel,

I offer several of the local high school coaches my availability during one of their early practices to work with their catchers & show them how we umps want to be worked with. Nobody took advantage this year, but I'm hoping that a couple will next year.

Steve,

Thats a great idea and one I would have thought
that you would have been working overtime on. The
catchers I hate are the ones that when pitch is
going to be outside - you look up and you as the
an umpire are facing the pitcher. Catcher
so far outside, you think she is on-deck batter.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote:
[i]Steve,

Thats a great idea and one I would have thought
that you would have been working overtime on. The
catchers I hate are the ones that when pitch is
going to be outside - you look up and you as the
an umpire are facing the pitcher. Catcher
so far outside, you think she is on-deck batter.

glen
Yeah, there's nothing quite like that "naked" feeling to make me awfully glad that I wear all the gear all the time. Working with a catcher or two is not something I feel I can do during the HS season and I don't have the time during the summer. There are a few of the kids from different schools that come & feel free to ask questions, so I think they're getting more open to the idea.