The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Batting Helmets and Chinstraps (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26050-batting-helmets-chinstraps.html)

MNBlue Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:09pm

Batting Helmets and Chinstraps

Any idea why the NFHS does not require chinstraps on helmets and ASA does? I would think that if the NFHS was concerned about player safety (facemasks), they would have mandated chinstraps as well.

Thoughts?

Dakota Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:18pm

I thought the ASA rule requiring chin straps (before face guards were required) was silly / overprotective.

I now think the NFHS rule requiring face guards but NOT chin straps is partially false security.

The difference?

The chin strap helps keep the face guard in place, so it will not rise up and allow a foul tip ;) to get in under the mask.

MNBlue Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:37pm

While I agree that a 'properly' fit helmet should not need a chinstrap, I believe the rule was developed to protect those JO players that do not have access to 'properly' fitting helmets. I believe that an unfit helmet with a chinstrap provides more protection than a helmet on the ground between bases.

I agree with your assessment of the facemask/chinstrap relationship.

Skahtboi Wed Apr 12, 2006 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
...and allow a foul tip ;) to get in under the mask.

Uh-huh. I see that! :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 12, 2006 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
I thought the ASA rule requiring chin straps (before face guards were required) was silly / overprotective.

I now think the NFHS rule requiring face guards but NOT chin straps is partially false security.

The difference?

The chin strap helps keep the face guard in place, so it will not rise up and allow a foul tip ;) to get in under the mask.

The chin strap:

Helps keep the helmet in place, even properly fitted ones,
Insures that the helmet does NO "accidentally" come off during a play, and
Deters players from removing them prematurely.

CecilOne Thu Apr 13, 2006 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue
Any idea why the NFHS does not require chinstraps on helmets and ASA does? I would think that if the NFHS was concerned about player safety (facemasks), they would have mandated chinstraps as well.

Thoughts?

I vaguely remember from some discussion that the NFHS felt that strangling was more likely than a helmet accidentally coming off and the more restrictive rule reduced the likelihood of premature removal.

MNBlue Thu Apr 13, 2006 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
... the NFHS felt that strangling was more likely than a helmet accidentally coming off and the more restrictive rule reduced the likelihood of premature removal.

You're yanking my chain, aren't you? I can honestly say that I have seen MANY more instances of helmets coming off, than strangulations on the ball fields I have been working. Granted the risk/reward of strangulation vs. helments coming off is not debatable, but don't throw out the baby (chinstraps) with the bathwater (strangulation).

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 13, 2006 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
I vaguely remember from some discussion that the NFHS felt that strangling was more likely than a helmet accidentally coming off and the more restrictive rule reduced the likelihood of premature removal.

These are obviously the same people who believe that declaring a "no fly" zone over an arena, park, building, etc. will keep a terrorist from dropping a plane on the target.

Go figure!