Baker
Charlie
Delta
Edward
Frank
George
Henry
Igloo

Igloo is one first base. Able is due up to bat. Instead Charlie bats and gets a base hit, advancing Igloo to 3rd. Before the first pitch (legal or illegal) to Delta, the defense appeals batting out of order. Able is out, Baker bats but we keep Charlie on base, correct? I don't have my books handy, but from memory I recall that the rules state that you only take a player off the bases if they are the batter immediately after the one called out for failing to bat (not the words used, but that's the idea). In this case Charlie is not the batter due up after Able. The rules also state that in this case any score or advance of runners is nullified. Well we can't keep Charlie on base and nullify the advance completely. We keep Charlie at 1st and advance Igloo to 2nd. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
NFHS 7-1-2 Penalty 2
When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the next pitch (legal or illegal), or prior to an intentional base on balls (S.P.), or before the infielders leave the diamond if a half-inning is ending. The umpire shall declare the batter who should have batted out (not the improper batter). The improper batter's time at bat is negated and she is returned to the dugout/bench area. All runners who were not declared out must return the the base occupied at the time of the pitch. If a runner advances because of a stolen base, wild pitch, passed ball (F.P.) or an illegal pitch (F.P.) while the improper batter is at bat, such advance is legal.

Able is out.
Charlie goes back to the bench.
Igloo goes back to first base.
Baker is up.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Here's what I think.....

Able is out,
All advances are nullified, so Igloo goes back to first and Charlie goes back to the dugout,
Baker is now the correct batter.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
I have a BOO quesion. Here's the lineup:

Able
Baker
Charlie
Delta
Edward
Frank
George
Henry
Igloo

Igloo is one first base. Able is due up to bat. Instead Charlie bats and gets a base hit, advancing Igloo to 3rd. Before the first pitch (legal or illegal) to Delta, the defense appeals batting out of order. Able is out, Baker bats but we keep Charlie on base, correct? I don't have my books handy, but from memory I recall that the rules state that you only take a player off the bases if they are the batter immediately after the one called out for failing to bat (not the words used, but that's the idea). In this case Charlie is not the batter due up after Able. The rules also state that in this case any score or advance of runners is nullified. Well we can't keep Charlie on base and nullify the advance completely. We keep Charlie at 1st and advance Igloo to 2nd. Is this correct?

Thanks!
No. The batter who should have batted is called out, and the improper batter's turn at bat is negated. In other words, Charlie is taken off the base and returned to the bench to await their proper turn at bat. Igloo is returned to first.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Everybody types faster than me. Of course, I am at work, trying to impart knowledge to a bunch of young 'uns, so I frequently get sidetracked while reading and responding to posts.

Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I don't have my ASA book at work, any differences between ASA and NFHS on this?
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I don't agree

The rule book clearly states that no one shall be removed from the bases except the player who will now bat in their proper place. For example, assuming the following lineup

Able
Baker
Charlie
Delta

If Able is due up but Baker bats and reaches base, if the defense appeals before the first pitch to Charlie, Able is out and Baker is removed from the bases to bat. However, if Able is due up to bat but Charlie bats and reaches base safely, when the defense appeals Charlis is not removed because he is not the next batter. Able is out and Baker bats.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule book clearly states that no one shall be removed from the bases except the player who will now bat in their proper place. For example, assuming the following lineup

Able
Baker
Charlie
Delta

If Able is due up but Baker bats and reaches base, if the defense appeals before the first pitch to Charlie, Able is out and Baker is removed from the bases to bat. However, if Able is due up to bat but Charlie bats and reaches base safely, when the defense appeals Charlis is not removed because he is not the next batter. Able is out and Baker bats.
What rule set? Quote the rule number please.

Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Don't have my book with me

ASA rule set. I believe it is 7.2.x.4. I'm not sure of the rule number but I know its in rule 7 and part 4. Sorry I can't be more precise, but that should get you close.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule book clearly states that ....
There's your problem right there. You are operating under a misconception about the ASA rule book!
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

ouch, that hurts!
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

The rule you are talking about is ASA 7-2-C-4. Here is what ASA was trying to say (quoting the NFHS book, which says it better)
Quote:
When several players bat out of order before discovery so that a player's time at bat occurs while she is a runner, such player remains on base, but she is NOT out as a batter.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

And, PS... MNBlue, pollywolly, and Scott all gave you the proper ruling for your situation.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
And, PS... MNBlue, pollywolly, and Scott all gave you the proper ruling for your situation.

ASA 7:2;D:2:Effect states:

a)the player who should have batted is out.
b) any advance of runners and any runs scored shall be nullified. All outs made stand.
c) the next batter is the players whose name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat.

b) pretty much covers it here. Any advance of runners shall be nullified. Therefore, the BR shall be removed from the bases and returned to the dugout.

Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

rwest, you are confusing two rules. You have been told the correct remedy to BOO.

The rule you are using only refers to instances where the proper batter (after calling the skipped batter out, removing the improper batter from the bases, and moving all runners back to their original bases) is on base (the result of multiple BOO's). That player is simply skipped in the batting order without penalty. Example...

Proper lineup is Able, Baker, Charlie, Dave, Evan.

Charlie comes to bat and singles. Defense says nothing.
Able then comes to bat and singles (Charlie to 2B). Defense says nothing.
Dave then comes to bat and singles. Defense protests that Baker was the proper batter. Baker is called out. Dave is sent to the dugout. Charlie is put back on 2nd, Able on 1st. Now... the proper batter after Baker is Charlie, but Charlie is on base. Charlie is simply skipped, not removed from the bases, and not an out... Dave now bats again.