The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

One man mechanic at first base

First time posting in a LONG time. I do enjoy reading the posts/discussions, though.

Sitch is - One man mechanics on the following play:

0 Outs. No Runners. BR hits grounder to F6. F6 fields and throws to F3....too late to force BR (at 1st). BR misses bag.

At what point do you call time.....and return to your position behind the plate?

Jeff
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I would wait until either a) F3 tags the runner off the base in a live ball appeal, or b) when the runner returns to the base.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

That's what I was told to do....

I really don't have a problem doing what I'm told.....but I DO think it's the wrong thing to do.

The reasons are:

1) In normal situations (one man), I would NOT wait for the runner to return to 1st base (assuming runner was safe and DID touch the bag) before returning to my position behind the plate.

2) Remaining there (near 1st base) tips the defense's hand that I still have action at 1st.

3) Yes....I have, in affect, taken away the defensive team's ability to make a live ball appeal. BUT....I have NOT taken away their ability to make a dead ball appeal.

If the live ball appeal is going to be made....it MOST LIKELY is going to be made pretty quickly, anyway.

My concern here is in the area of CONSISTENCY. That is all. If I am to wait until the player returns to the bag.....or until the defense has made a live ball appeal play.....every time......THEN....I should wait there.....until the player returns to the bag (even though he is not in jeopardy) every time.

Is this being unreasonable?

Jeff
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Wait (longer than normal) until you are satisfied the defense is not going to make an appeal, especially if they return the ball to the pitcher.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Mike:

People around here don't seem to be able to concede that we're tipping our hand if we stay in position (near 1st base) until the runner returns to first base. Heck....he could be out there a while. I'm a bit baffled.

I always appreciate your viewpoint.

Jeff
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Blue
People around here don't seem to be able to concede that we're tipping our hand if we stay in position (near 1st base) until the runner returns to first base. Heck....he could be out there a while.
Unless the umpire ALWAYS stays out there until the runner returns, I don't believe their opinion to be correct. Sounds like the guys who work the little-ball game
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really don't have a problem doing what I'm told.....but I DO think it's the wrong thing to do.

The reasons are:

1) In normal situations (one man), I would NOT wait for the runner to return to 1st base (assuming runner was safe and DID touch the bag) before returning to my position behind the plate.

2) Remaining there (near 1st base) tips the defense's hand that I still have action at 1st.
Then make your way back to the plate without calling TIME. Just keep your eye on the field. I have a problem with your mechanic of not waiting on the BR to return and just routinely calling time. The ball is live, the play is live. The BR can still try for 2nd, and if she does, the defense can still get an out. In one man, I do not call TIME unless absolutely necessary. It is not that difficult to return to your position while keeping the field in view, especially with only the BR on base. You only really need to watch three players - BR, F3 and F1.

Quote:
3) Yes....I have, in affect, taken away the defensive team's ability to make a live ball appeal. BUT....I have NOT taken away their ability to make a dead ball appeal.
Not true unless the BR never returns to 1B. The dead ball appeal cannot be honored until after the runners have completed their base-running duties. You calling TIME does not strand the BR into right field.

Quote:
If the live ball appeal is going to be made....it MOST LIKELY is going to be made pretty quickly, anyway.
Agreed, of necessity.

Quote:
My concern here is in the area of CONSISTENCY. That is all. If I am to wait until the player returns to the bag.....or until the defense has made a live ball appeal play.....every time......THEN....I should wait there.....until the player returns to the bag (even though he is not in jeopardy) every time.
No, you just need to keep the field in view.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

The bottom line here is, that you should not call time and return to your position until all playing action has ceased, and the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle. This would be true on any and all plays in a one man game. There is no tipping of anything if you are using the correct mechanics to begin with.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Well......

I've worked a one-man for 6 yrs., now. If I waited until the BR returned to 1B every time before returning to my position behind the plate......

.....the one hour time limit would be a moot point.

I'm simply trying to be realistic.

Jeff
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've worked a one-man for 6 yrs., now. If I waited until the BR returned to 1B every time before returning to my position behind the plate
I didn't say that. I said don't call time until the play is complete. When a runner is out in right field and the ball is live, the play is not complete. I can grudgingly go along with after F1 has the ball in the circle and the BR is committed to return or be in violation of LB, but even then, there remains the possiblity of the bonehead move by either the offense or defense.

It really is not necessary to call time... sure, it relieves you of the responsiblity of keeping the field in view, but leaving the ball live does NOT mean you stand and wait.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
NC_Blue

Fastpitch or slowpitch?
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I guess there stands the possibility that I've been doing my job wrong all along (I say this with all sincerity). When we (umpires in our league) see that all play has ceased (BR is down the 1B line....defense is returning th eball to the pitcher)....we call "time" and HUSTLE back to our position behind the plate.

I hustle my butt off getting down the line. I hustle my butt off all the time. In this system (one man)....it's the ONLY way to have credibility with the players.

That's why I call time and get back to my position. I DO NOT do so with haste, though. All play (in my opinion) has ceased before I do so. I also only do adult softball.

Thanks for your opinions.

Jeff
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

slow pitch.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked entire games without calling TIME before. Softball is a live-ball sport. You can hustle back to position and still keep your eye on the ball and action, just as you hustle into position and keep your eye on base-touches and possible OBS/INT's. No need to face away from the field at all.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Although I don't make a habit of doing slowpitch, I have noticed that slow pitch only umpires will be extremely quick to call time. In fastpitch, I agree with Dakota, I rarely call time. If I call time, I am possibly taking away opportunities for both teams, either to advance or to get an out.