The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Pleats in pants? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/25896-pleats-pants.html)

WestMichBlue Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:03pm

Pleats in pants?

Honigs is pushing pleated pants; the majority of their inventory has gone pleated. OfficialGear only provides pants without pleats.

So what is in? Pleats? Or not?

WBM

Ed Maeder Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:11pm

I have become very fond of the pleated pants. I wear them in softball and basketball, but I don't think football knickers would look good with pleats. They are approved in ASA and NFHS so I like them and use them.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
I have become very fond of the pleated pants. I wear them in softball and basketball, but I don't think football knickers would look good with pleats. They are approved in ASA and NFHS so I like them and use them.

Ed,

No pleats around here. I've never seen anything from ASA with regards to wearing pleated pants. For that matter, my last national (2005 Hooters), the letter specifically noted "flat-panel" navy double-knit polyester slacks.

Ed Maeder Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:58pm

I have never been told anything about pleats at any national tournament I have done so I guess you wear what the UIC calls for. I sure wouldn't wear them if they told us not to.

BretMan Mon Apr 03, 2006 09:57am

Pleats or no pleats, it makes little difference to me.

Now, if someone would just come up with a base/plate combo pant in navy blue, you'd get my attention!

CelticNHBlue Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:11am

NCAA is extremely preferential to flat front (no pleats) and (I believe) does not allow them in championship play.

bkbjones Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39am

No pleats in Seattle

Up here (or, for Ed, down here, and good to see you, Ed), pleated pants are verboten.

Why?
1. The UIC says so (A VERY good reason).
2. ASA does not sell pleated pants. Since what ASA sells is official wear...flat fronts it is.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 03, 2006 01:39pm

Checked with the boss. ASA does not presently have a policy or opinion on pleats v. flat-panel, as long as they are double-knit polyester.

"PRESENTLY". Now that the question has been asked, we may see something different down the road.

Personally, IMHO, the flat-panel looks more professional and less like leisure wear.

whiskers_ump Mon Apr 03, 2006 02:14pm

I have never seen the blue in pleated version. I like the flat panel look myself, regardless of color.

Dakota Mon Apr 03, 2006 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
I like the flat panel look myself, regardless of color.

I suspect this does not apply to you, Glen, but what about those of us who do not have a {ahem} flat panel? :D

Bluefoot Mon Apr 03, 2006 04:07pm

Here in CT, we're only allowed to wear pleated pants between Memorial Day and Labor Day!

Seriously though, don't the pleated pants require more care than non-pleated? (like ironing?)

bkbjones Mon Apr 03, 2006 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
I suspect this does not apply to you, Glen, but what about those of us who do not have a {ahem} flat panel? :D

I have a very UN-flat panel...and won't wear pleated pants on the field.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Apr 03, 2006 08:28pm

NCAA NUIP was very specific and blunt at the Atlanta clinic in January; no pleated pants at NCAA games. If you are observed in an evaluation setting with pleated pants, mail in your chances for postseason. No pleats, no patent leather (belts or shoes), no hockey-style masks; nothing that draws attention to you different from the desired appearance.

ASA sells (via OfficalGear, formerly ASA Properties) no pants with pleats; not blue, not gray, not base, not plate, no pleats on any of them. And has always stated a preference to western cut pockets (and most staff UIC's will state a preference to non-pleated). Yes, you can buy gray pleated from other officials suppliers, and ASA has never mandated ASA only pants. But read between the lines as to what is preferred; western cut, no pleats.

SF Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40pm

Around here (Kansas City) it's strictly no pleats. Of course, there is no rule but it is definitely frowned upon.

wadeintothem Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:19pm

Dont matter cuz I sin and wear Dickies. They have a nifty pocket for your brush and are heavy duty. Nice stuff.

*flame suit on*