The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   OBNOXIOUS Fan (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/25858-obnoxious-fan.html)

whiskers_ump Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:16pm

OBNOXIOUS Fan

Maybe I should not have let him get to me, but this guy was the most obnoxious person I have, in my 48 years of umpiring, ever experienced.:mad:

Beginning in the 1st inning, he is criticizing the players, (his own team included), all the calls, and even yelling back at the opponents fans when they cheered.

I lasted until the top of the 4th, at which time I called for the game AD. When he arrived, I ask him to stand close enough to listen to what I was about to tell this "gentlemen".

I call the fan over and "Sir, listen carefully to what I am about to say to you. Do not interrupt, listen. If I heard one more word out of you, anything, anything at all I will be asking you to leave. I am not sure why you even came to the game, but I don't even want to hear you cheering for your team." He could not stand it any longer. "I paid to get in here, so I have rights." Whoa, time to go. "Well, sir you did pay, now you will get to challenge UIL's No Refund clause, because you are gone" "Please leave the area, now".

Last time I see him, he and AD, with security, are leaving the area to a far away parking lot.

Couple of the girls on his team told me "Thanks".

CecilOne Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:25pm

Other than not using the prescribed protocol of having the AD handle it, rather than speaking to him directly, GREAT!

But a question for all. If you ask the AD or head coach to remove a spectator and they do not, would you actually forfeit the game. Does it matter which rule set?

AtlUmpSteve Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
Other than not using the prescribed protocol of having the AD handle it, rather than speaking to him directly, GREAT!

But a question for all. If you ask the AD or head coach to remove a spectator and they do not, would you actually forfeit the game. Does it matter which rule set?

In some cases, we aren't asking them; we are directing them to remove the fan. If it is bad enough to require the removal, it is bad enough to absolutely hold game administration to that requirement.

In this particular case, I might simply make game management accountable; AD, your choice to remove him or muzzle him, but if he interferes or is inappropriate again, I will treat it the same as your coach being inappropriate after being restricted.

It does matter to me which rule set; in NFHS and NCAA, there is mandated game management, who is accountable for handling that. In ASA (and assumably other rec settings), there may not be someone with that accountability. But, while I may not forfeit in a situation where no one is actually responsible for that third party, I will refuse to play the game in that situation. Let someone else decide if it is a forfeit or a suspended game. (However, I have never seen a case where someone didn't make the fan leave, at least so the kids could play.)

wadeintothem Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:10pm

Sometimes, ya gotta use "umpirstic license" -

I think you did good, especially with his heckling of players and fans.