The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do?

Like most umpries in my association I play on a team as well an umpire game in leagues I don't play in.

I played in a semi final game on Sat USSSA Slowpitch that was so poorly worked that I just barley hold my comments on how bad it was called.

I know that this is a HTBT but here a list

Batting Out of the Box.

I counted 4 players all right field hitters stepping on or infront of the plate while making contact with the ball. After seeing it the first time I asked the umpire to keep an eye on it, and his reply was "I don't have time to take my eye off the ball to check for that".

Leaving Early on Tag Play.

Fly ball to right with 1 out and man on third. This umpire was up the first base line(halfway) 10 foot off the line toward the pitchers plate.

I asked how is he able to verify that the runner didn't leave early with his back turned to the runner. He didn't dignify me with an answer on this question.

Close Call at first.

On a 4-3 FC Play F3 bobled ball got control of ball just as the runner got there, this could have been either way but the Umpire didn't sell it.
The call was made with a meager safe call.

I told him that if he had sold that call with a little bit of vigor, he wouldn't have gotten as much crap from the stands as he did. He said that he dosn't like to do that because some players think it's showboating by the umpire.

All in all, this guy was bad, I did let him know this after the game away from any other players, that he really needs to work on his mechanics. And that you have to take your eyes of the ball sometimes to check things like stepping on the plate, or making contact with the ball of out of the box. Sometimes you need to umpire with a bit of vigor.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do?

Close Call at first.

Rattlehead,

My listed responses would be directed to the asking coach or player coach who was at the pre-game plate converense. If you're a player asking these questions I'm going to ask you to knock it off and take further action if you continue.

Batting Out of the Box.

I counted 4 players all right field hitters stepping on or infront of the plate while making contact with the ball. After seeing it the first time I asked the umpire to keep an eye on it, and his reply was "I don't have time to take my eye off the ball to check for that".

My response: In my judgment the batter was in the box. I'll continue looking for you though.

I've seen other umpires handle it this way: Next time that coaches team is on defense, the umpire calls all the pitches a ball till the coach wants to know what's wrong with the pitches. Then Blue responds "Dunno coach, but the batter's defenately is in the box!"

Leaving Early on Tag Play.

Fly ball to right with 1 out and man on third. This umpire was up the first base line(halfway) 10 foot off the line toward the pitchers plate.

I asked how is he able to verify that the runner didn't leave early with his back turned to the runner. He didn't dignify me with an answer on this question.

My response:

Coach, in my judgment the runner did not leave early.

I've seen other umpires handle it this way during a one umpire game: Coach, let me check with my partner, Partner, did either runner leave to soon? Then jog about three feet turn and face the coach and respond "No partner, they left on time!"

Close Call at first.

On a 4-3 FC Play F3 bobled ball got control of ball just as the runner got there, this could have been either way but the Umpire didn't sell it.
The call was made with a meager safe call.

I told him that if he had sold that call with a little bit of vigor, he wouldn't have gotten as much crap from the stands as he did. He said that he dosn't like to do that because some players think it's showboating by the umpire.

All in all, this guy was bad, I did let him know this after the game away from any other players, that he really needs to work on his mechanics. And that you have to take your eyes of the ball sometimes to check things like stepping on the plate, or making contact with the ball of out of the box. Sometimes you need to umpire with a bit of vigor.

My response: Yep, you're right coach...should have sold that one. I think my timing was a bit quick also...but the judgment....now that was a thing of beauty!

I've seen other umpires handle it this way: Gee coach, it was sold, see how everyone's ready to continue playing. I'll take your advice on working on my mechanics and by the way you're team would win more games if your pitchers knew where the strike zone is, and your batters couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat, as a coach you may want to work on that. I'm glad we could share this instructional moment.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting I was thinking along the same lines as Michael was. My first thought when I read this was when you are a player you have to take off the umpire hat.

My likely response if you had lost the game would have been something along the lines of: Sir, while I appreciate your opinion, had your team been more interested in playing the game rather than doing a mechanics review of the umpire, you may have won the game.

Actually I would not have said that, but I would certainly be thinking it.

All of the calls you are referencing are ultimately JUDGEMENT calls. You honestly would lose credibility with me and many umps that I work with if you had done this.

When we participate in a game as a player we may disagree with a call here and there. We do not gain the right to discuss potential blown calls and judgement calls with that ump, because we also umpire (even if it is after the game).

Good luck getting any calls from this guy for the rest of the year.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

or the ole
After whatever strike/ball call you intentionally blow

"You could be right, but one things for sure, the runner did not leave early"
or

"You could be right, but one things for sure, the batter was not out of the box"

as appropriate.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
You telling him to take his eyes of the ball is easily the WORST, most misguided advice this guy will ever receive. Nothing happens without the ball, ever.

I agree, this guy (Rattlehead) can only wear one hat at a time.

The statement above caught my attention. It is absurd for a player to think watching the batter's feet should be a priority. Well, it is a priority, the last in a long line of other things I have to do. However, in the SP game, seeing a batter out of the box isn't that difficult, even in USSSA and more-so for the "stand up" SP umpires.

Tracking the ball, many pitches are going to lead your eyes down. Even with the big boys, your window is so big, you can see the ball and the batter with little to no effort.