The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-6-P vs 7-6-R

Some of my fellow umpires and I have a difference of opinion when it comes to interference with regards to the batter. My belief is that there is a difference between throwing a ball and a thrown ball. In almost all cases, an offensive team member has to interfere intentionally with a thrown ball. The one exception to that rule that I can think of is running outside of the 3' lane. Intent is not a pre-requisite when interfering with a defender in attempting to throw a ball. I know some will say I'm over thinking this, but I don't agree. Having read the rule book now several times, I see support for my interpretation.

Rule 7-6-P reads...

"When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter's box."

Rule 7-6-R reads as follows...

"When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball,in or out of the batter's box."

Is there a distinction between throwing a ball and a thrown ball in regards to these rules? I believe that "throwing" is the action of releasing the ball and a "thrown" ball is one that has already left the catchers hand. Some of my associates believe that if the batter steps out of the box when the runner on 2nd is attempting a steal, all the catcher has to do to get an out is hit the batter and interference will be called. I have a problem with this interpretation. I don't believe ASA wants to encourate this type of behaviour. I agree the batter should stay in the box, but merely stepping out is not enough in my mind for an out. Suppose there was a clear lane to the 3rd baseman? Or suppose on an inside pitch that gets to close, the batter bails, stepping out of the box while the runner on 2nd steals third? If the catcher's throw hits the batter while she is out of the box, I can't justify getting an out. There was no intent. She was attempting to avoid being hit.

If there is no distinction between "throwing" and "thrown" then why do these two rules use different wording and why does the word "intentionally" almost always precedes the phrase "thrown ball" with regard to interference?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest

Rule 7-6-P reads...

"When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batter's box."

Rule 7-6-R reads as follows...

"When intentionally interfering with a thrown ball,in or out of the batter's box."

Is there a distinction between throwing a ball and a thrown ball in regards to these rules? I believe that "throwing" is the action of releasing the ball and a "thrown" ball is one that has already left the catchers hand. Some of my associates believe that if the batter steps out of the box when the runner on 2nd is attempting a steal, all the catcher has to do to get an out is hit the batter and interference will be called. I have a problem with this interpretation. I don't believe ASA wants to encourate this type of behaviour. I agree the batter should stay in the box, but merely stepping out is not enough in my mind for an out. Suppose there was a clear lane to the 3rd baseman? Or suppose on an inside pitch that gets to close, the batter bails, stepping out of the box while the runner on 2nd steals third? If the catcher's throw hits the batter while she is out of the box, I can't justify getting an out. There was no intent. She was attempting to avoid being hit.

If there is no distinction between "throwing" and "thrown" then why do these two rules use different wording and why does the word "intentionally" almost always precedes the phrase "thrown ball" with regard to interference?
The distinction is that one is interfering with a player, the other is interfering with a thrown ball.