The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Did a local 10 & Under tournament this past weekend. Not bad ball over all and for the most part reminded me why it's still a game. Most of these girls play only in the league and won't play much more this summer. So it's big tournament for most of them and the coaches. These are the tournaments that can really test some rules knowledge because the unexpected can happen on a regular basis. Can someone please explain the ASA reason for not allowing the stealing of home. With the defense still being allowed to make a pick-off attempt on the runner a third, dosen't this give an advatage to the defense???
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 01:01pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Did a local 10 & Under tournament this past weekend. Not bad ball over all and for the most part reminded me why it's still a game. Most of these girls play only in the league and won't play much more this summer. So it's big tournament for most of them and the coaches. These are the tournaments that can really test some rules knowledge because the unexpected can happen on a regular basis. Can someone please explain the ASA reason for not allowing the stealing of home. With the defense still being allowed to make a pick-off attempt on the runner a third, dosen't this give an advatage to the defense???
Bandit,
What are you describing by "a pick-off attempt"?
mick
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Pick-off

In the 10 and under group a runner on third may not steal home. But if they lead off the base on release of the ball by the pitcher, per rule, they can be thrown out by the catcher on a pick-off attempt. If the third baseman misses the ball and it ends up in left field this still does release the runner to score. This appears to be a advantage to the defense. Rule 8, Section 4, H.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Very Cool!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
In the 10 and under group a runner on third may not steal home. But if they lead off the base on release of the ball by the pitcher, per rule, they can be thrown out by the catcher on a pick-off attempt. If the third baseman misses the ball and it ends up in left field this still does release the runner to score. This appears to be a advantage to the defense. Rule 8, Section 4, H.
Bandit,
That gives those young catchers the guts to make that throw.
I really like it!
mick
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Talking EXACTLY.......

Mick has it nails on........

This is to help instruct the defense on proper techique without penalizing them for errant throws by an inexperienced catcher.

The offense knows the rule........if they take too much of a lead off.........shame on the 3b coach.

We have a rule in Kid-ball here-8U and below (and I love it).......the first play by any fielder that is thrown to (and hits the fence) in foul territory is a dead ball and all runners are advanced 1 base at the time of the throw.

IOW......F6 throwing to F3 and overthrows and hits the fence.......the BR can only get first..........all other runners are placed based on thier position at the time of the throw.

When my oldest started in this age group........eons ago (at least it seems that way........grin)......there was no such rule........

The typical coaching technique was to have the best player at pitcher and get the ball to her and have her run players down.........or whoever fielded the ball would run at players to keep them on thier base........there was NO throwing and proper mechanics were lost.

Now.......every team throws the ball........the girls learn to field/throw/catch/....etc.

Special rules such as this are put in to help in the development of the girls............not to place an unfair advantage on the offense or defense.

Even though I have seen some awesome ball played at the 10U level and below........these ages should always be considered DEVELOPMENTAL. There is a place for competetive ball in the younger age groups (ASA in the last 2 years recognized 10U "A" ball).......but we cannot forget the less developed players and should encourage rules that help them to develop.

Any rule that allows for the proper development should be encouraged.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Jun 25th, 2001 at 09:19 PM]
Old Mon Jun 25, 2001, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up AGREEMENT

I agree with mick and Joel. I did Little League the
other night. THE CANNOT ADVANCE BUT ONE BASE AND
CANNOT STEAL HOME RULE,
does not apply in Little Leauge.
However, the pitchers are limited to number of innings
they can pitch. The one base and no home steal should
be utilized in the 9-10 Little League games, then maybe
I would not have anymore 31-26 games, though dont think
that would have helped in this case. The ASA Rule is
good, like mick says lets catchers learn to throw and
if bad throw only going to advance the one base and
never home.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, the people who write these rules do not understand "steal". Advancing on an errant throw is NOT stealing. There is a play made on the runner. What they mean is that the runner may only advance to home by action of the batter.

"10.08 A stolen base shall be credited to a runner whenever he advances one base unaided by a hit, a putout, an error, a force out, a fielder's choice, a passed ball, a wild pitch or a balk, subject to the following:"

The rules writers should learn what a stolen base is.

Bob

Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Good Thread...Don't disagree with the rule just wanted to know the reasoning that I was over looking..Once again I'll have to tell someone that this site can be a excellent place to learn from others. Our local girls league also has adapted a rule for the 6 & under age group ( Little Misses) that if the defense makes a play on a player and the ball is over thrown, the runner being played on is not allowed to advance. The defense is still responsible to stop the lead runner. So if the lead runner was not played on, she may continue to advance until properly stopped. Again trying to teach defense the proper play, and hustle. Good Rule, at this age.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

BZ,

I don't know what book "10.08" came from, but it seems to be a ruling for scoring a play, not a rule. No matter how you look at it, it doesn't apply to ASA rules concerning 10U running (8.4.H) as it does not exclusively refer to advancement on the bases as "stealing".