The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen the test yet, but my UIC waved the answer sheet around last week in Clinic. It appears there are only 50 questions or so compared to the 100 in previous years. If I'm correct, I don't think this is a good thing. We all take this test "open book", and 100 questions has us going into the book more. This makes us all more familiar with the rule & the book.
Is this yet another example of "the dumbing down of America" or am I over concerned ?
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Test has not shrunk

I just finished the test for 2006 and, at least in CT, the test is still 100 questions. Of course, that doesn't mean that sometimes the coaches don't make us feel like we're "dumbing down", as you put it.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Where are you from chuck??? The rumor here in NY is that the NYSSO (NY state) test is shorter...our test review is tomorrow morning,so I will let all our NY friends know for sure..
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Baltimore, Maryland State ASA. I umpire Mainly eastern Baltimore County, and some in Eastern Baltimore City what used to be called Baltimore Metro
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Test has not shrunk

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
I just finished the test for 2006 and, at least in CT, the test is still 100 questions. Of course, that doesn't mean that sometimes the coaches don't make us feel like we're "dumbing down", as you put it.
Then CT is not using the ASA Umpire Exam.

I described the exam in a post on this board earlier.

Part I - True/False Rules
20 questions
4 SP alternates

Part II - Multiple Choice Rules
20 questions
5 SP alternates

Part III - Mechanics
5 true/false questions
5 multiple choice questions
1 SP alternate T/F question

Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Mike, I see your Feb 11th memo on this shortened test. Do you know what the thinking was behind the reduction, and your opinions ?
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

The test that I was speaking of is the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) test.
Sorry if I confused you.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Mike, I see your Feb 11th memo on this shortened test. Do you know what the thinking was behind the reduction, and your opinions ?
This was covered in a short fashion at a clinic last week. The test is to be used as an educational tool, not a measuring stick. It is meant to force thought and discussion involving rules which get questioned more often than others. My opinion is that this is one of the reasons the questions were somewhat vague. We've seen the direct affect of that on this and other officiating boards.

Also, IMO, the shorter test allows the umpire to embrace it by allowing them to slow down so there is not a mad dash to finish. If you remember, some of the old tests would ocassionally have the same question on a rule presented in a different format. By going to a shorter test, the staff, and in turn, the umpire, can focus on certain scenarios and interpretations provided in the book and not have to worry about filling out a test with inane questions and/or matching the answer key.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
The test that I was speaking of is the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS) test.
Sorry if I confused you.
With all due respect and considering the subject line, I don't think I'm the one confused

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Mar 18th, 2006 at 03:20 PM]
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Irish, it's "due respect," not "do respect." Thought you might want to get it right.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Can't wait to see Irish response to EdJW.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, Irish has already responded by editing his post to use correct English.