The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a good, no hating/flaming forum? cause I will bail fast if it isnt? Please, dont reply if you dont have 100 or more posts.
I and my family luv softball and I have officiated a good bit on and off, Im just too old to bother with any more poorly moderated forums with a bunch of child-like members.
Dont get me wrong, I enjoy a good joust and after reading some of the posts, it sounds like yall have some fun, too.
Thanks for honest replies.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by alphaump
Is this a good, no hating/flaming forum? cause I will bail fast if it isnt? Please, dont reply if you dont have 100 or more posts.
I and my family luv softball and I have officiated a good bit on and off, Im just too old to bother with any more poorly moderated forums with a bunch of child-like members.
Dont get me wrong, I enjoy a good joust and after reading some of the posts, it sounds like yall have some fun, too.
It's good, no hating, very little mild flaming. We don't tolerate ejectionable behavior.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I consider it a mild forum compared to just about any ive ever been on. I dont know of any flaming other than the very occassional trolling - certainly no "hating" among the regulars.. but there is good debate where someone will stick to their guns..

and IMO the best forum online for interacting with top notch officials.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

So if an ump with say 25 years of experience comes on the board for the first time and wants to respond to one of your posts, you don't want the benefit of his experience. Is that what you are saying?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Refnva - I think the reason he wanted a response to this specific question was that the question was not about umpiring - it was about this site. Someone with 66 posts could not answer his question properly, as it's likely that person hasn't been around long enough to answer this particular question.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa

So if an ump with say 25 years of experience comes on the board for the first time and wants to respond to one of your posts, you don't want the benefit of his experience. Is that what you are saying?
How did I know this would hurt someones feelings.
Answer: no, it just helps weed out.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa

I believe the OP was referring to testimony involving the neighborhood, not what posts s/he will read.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, welcome to the forum.
I think you will like it here most of the time.

The board itself is rather lightly moderated;

But here on the softball side, were pretty well behaved as a general rule.

We do get a few drive-by trolls from time to time, but fortunately, they have been rather short-lived on the site.

We have a number of good-natured (but sometimes intense, or even borderline emotional) "fueds" going (and I use the word "fued" very lightly): slowpitch v fastpitch; ASA v NFHS; etc., but they are generally friendly and even when done with intensity, the underlying respect shows.

As you can tell from some of our more recent threads, we are not above lively disagreement on rules, mechanices, and even the English language, sometimes.

Don't be afraid to jump into the water.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I mostly like to read. I will ask and answer sometimes and most often people are good about bringing up points that I had not considered. This is a great place to learn. And I have been learning on this site for several years.

The 100 post thing is so people who would really know would answer.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I'm still in my Alpha basketball mode! :"P
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sorry. I don't reply to questions from people with fewer than 100 posts!

But seriously, you should find good information here from experienced umpires, with a minimum of the typical internet chest-thumping p*ssing contests.

We have a baseball discussion board for that...

Then again, you could always read through the hundreds of threads already here and judge the atmosphere for yourself.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
the very occassional trolling

Trolling, thats a new one on me. Let me see if I might interpret this right...a member that would be of no good to the forum. Confrontational, looking for every opportunity to create confusion. "Pa-trol the area to cause others to lose their minds with naggish chatter.
Hmm, sounds a lil condenming.
Gotta luv the new guy huh.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
from an internet jargon dictionary
troll
1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT.

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. {In this usage, the term "troll" changed from referring to a kind of fishing to referring to a mythical Scandinavian ogre} Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, “Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll.” Compare kook.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.

The use of ‘troll’ in any of these senses is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning “Do not feed the troll” as part of a followup to troll postings.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
from an internet jargon dictionary
troll
1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT.

2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. {In this usage, the term "troll" changed from referring to a kind of fishing to referring to a mythical Scandinavian ogre} Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, “Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll.” Compare kook.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.

The use of ‘troll’ in any of these senses is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning “Do not feed the troll” as part of a followup to troll postings.
Thats what I said aint it?!?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
the very occassional trolling

Trolling, thats a new one on me. Let me see if I might interpret this right...a member that would be of no good to the forum. Confrontational, looking for every opportunity to create confusion. "Pa-trol the area to cause others to lose their minds with naggish chatter.
Hmm, sounds a lil condenming.
Gotta luv the new guy huh.
well.. soon you'll get an example as they normally come out from under their rocks looking for the answers to the ASA test around this time of year.