The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Had and will have a chance to umpire mens slowpitch games while they are in Indianapolis. Don't normally do a lot of adult games but it's a nice change. Organzation commitee has made it even easier. Using ASA rules but also using a "mat" behind the plate for strikes. Takes my judgement out of the picture for strikes buts makes for quick game. Anyone use this "mat" on a regular basis? Did a game last night between Fort Wayne Police and a team from Quebec, Canada...Does this qualify to have "International" expierence on my umpiring resume??
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Talking

If they're the "World" games, I see that as international experience.

{VBG} for Mike.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Bandit,

We have used the "mat" in rec league and in some senior league ball which worked out pretty well but your better pitchers wont like it. It takes away corners and if you have a 5' batter and the pitcher is hitting a 12' arc that is hitting the back of the mat you will have a strike that just went over the head of the batter

So for lower leagues it is maybe fine but would never work at higher level in my opinion

Don
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

The mat is a lazy man's umpire. It is not in the least fair to either the batter or pitcher. It does not take into consideration a ball which passes through the strike zone on an angle.

Everyone thinks the mat is easy, but I've actually had senior ballplayers start arguing over whether the ball hit the mat or not.

The only positive I have ever experienced with a mat is that in games where they are used, a ball that hits the plate is considered a strike. Of course, the batter do not like it, but that just shows their mentality. A ball that hits the plate is usually a prime-time pitch that any half-decent batter should be able to drive.

JMHO
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mat

The mat is a lazy man's umpire. What a true statement. Takes any type of good pitching away from the position. The games are also having any ball that strikes the plate a strike. While the initial rection was not good most the ball players have adapted and there has been some good ball games, High scoring, but good.