The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone watching this on ESPN2? Looked like an awfully tight strike zone in the Stanford/LSU game. I think I'd have gotten a ousy evaluation if my zone were like that - I'm sure of it. Otherwise, they look pretty good out there.
Old Fri May 25, 2001, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Steve

I was watching the Iowa/Ucla game from what I saw strike zone look pretty normal from what I know but was a awesome game 0/0 in the 5th I believe when I had to doze off(early one today) the stratedgy of the coaches were something to see

Have a good Memorial Weekend All

Don
Old Fri May 25, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

I saw parts of the game. The only thing I noticed was that I didn't car for the PU's strike signal. Just put the hand and arm up at about a 45 degree angle and never seemed to go to the hammer.

I know, nit-picky, but this is suppose to be the premier college softball tournament. (by no means a world series)

Old Fri May 25, 2001, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Steve,

I saw parts of the game. The only thing I noticed was that I didn't car for the PU's strike signal. Just put the hand and arm up at about a 45 degree angle and never seemed to go to the hammer.

I know, nit-picky, but this is suppose to be the premier college softball tournament. (by no means a world series)

Mike,
I noticed that, too and thought that at best it looked strange. Ya know, none of the folks at the D2 Regionals I was at had perfect textbook signals - all were somewhat "customized" - but every ump there used signals that looked crisp. The guy in the late game - UCLA/Iowa - looked pretty good. Sharp calls & signals. Now he wasn't as good lookin' as either of us, Mike, but he did look like he belonged there.
Old Fri May 25, 2001, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking TV??

Y'all up north get this in the television..........??

Man.........you are modern......

I think I will have to check that out.......I may have one of those television things out by the cement pond......

Sorry guys......I don't get those channels here.......

Wished I could comment though.......

Joel
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Joel,

You need to get out of the sticks. I thought that after all this time, ESPN would be pretty much everywhere.

BTW, Steve. In the UA/OU game Friday night, did you see the "set" stance on the first base umpire? The guy must have been pretty limber, I would have fallen over if I placed my feet that far apart d:-)

Old Sat May 26, 2001, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Actually Mike........it's available.....

I am just to cheap to pay for expanded cable......

Joel
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Part of basic cable in this area
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

WOW :D

Joel must really be in sticks, I am from town
of 1,933 people(give or take a couple) and
ESPN is on our basic package. Sixty miles in
any direction to big city.

Caught the last couple of innings of UA/OU game
and thought that the two pitches on the batter
that walked to load bases were strikes, but then
if they dont bounce, I think they are strikes.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Whiskers,

I saw that, but didn't think they were strikes. But who can really tell with the camera angle. The reason I didn't believe they were strikes was that the catcher was setting up (or from the angle looked like it) off the inside part of the plate to start, but it looked like she was still dragging the ball back over the plate, then framing it. She might have been better off not moving the glove. It could be she fooled the umpire along with myself.
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Anyone know when LSU plays?

Local girl playing for them.......she was awesome to watch......a very sneaky baserunner........

EDITED Nevermind......I found it.....they lost to Stanford and play today at 1:30......not televised.....but broadcast on the web....

Youngest in a tournament......oldest doing a car wash.....gotta run in a few and on the run the rest of the day.

Thanks

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on May 26th, 2001 at 09:48 AM]
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Watching the Cal/Stanford game tonight. It looked like Forest from Call was stepping outside the "H" and no one call made. It wasn't just here or there, it was on every pitch. At first I just thought it was the camera angle, but after watching where she ended up, compared to the spot created by the other pitchers (about 2 feet to the left), it looked like she was really wide.

Any body else see the game?

Old Sat May 26, 2001, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I missed today's games - had a wedding & reception to go to. I'm hoping that the late one is on.
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

LSU vs Oklahoma

The LSU vs Oklahoma is on at 8:30 (don't know what time zone) on ESPN2.

Gonna miss it.....but the following website has live audio and live boxscores.......I will at least get to check that.

http://soonersports.fansonly.com/spo...s-central.html

Youngest's games got rained out this afternoon.....so we start early in the a.m. if the bad weather does not hang around.

Oldests team raised about $300 today at a carwash.......Every dollar they earn is a dollar I don't have to spend........ (will have pictures on my website of the CW later tonight in Laurens album......come check it out)

Joel

Old Mon May 28, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

"H" ???

Irish, When you refer to the "H" are you talking about the pitcher and the 24" of pitching plate width? If so, I also thought she was way outside of the area. But I'm only hoping to someday do college ball and thought maybe they had a adifferent ruling or the TV camera angle was effecting my view ???