The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Jim Easton recused himself from all votes involving sports for which his company sells equipment, not just softball.....last year, all ASA balls used for championship play were out of spec. Some manufacturers were just stamping their balls with the ASA .44, 375 logo even though they did not change the specs....one of the proposed rule changes requires the UIC for a JO "B" National to carry a radar gun and periodically check the pitcher's speed to make sure the "B" pitchers aren't throwing the ball too fast....hey, I'm just reporting, this wasn't one of mine.

Other rule change proposals include:

The return of the 1-1 count for all SP with no courtesy foul, changing the 10U rules to include a runner to score anytime the BR was awarded 1B with the bases loaded, relieving the BR of possible INT on a U3K unless intentional, cleaning up the U3K with two outs (again).

There will be approximately 70 rule changes proposed, but many are duplications, so it's not that big a deal.

Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

NO 1-1 count! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
Trust me, it will add offense to the game.

Even some of the biggest critics on the NUS over the past few years have started to swing on this issue. The players expect it. It urges them to swing the bat more frequently thus putting the ball into play more often which in turn creates more offensive and defensive opportunities throughout the game.

Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by azbigdawg
Trust me, it will add offense to the game.

Even some of the biggest critics on the NUS over the past few years have started to swing on this issue. The players expect it. It urges them to swing the bat more frequently thus putting the ball into play more often which in turn creates more offensive and defensive opportunities throughout the game.

I've played and umpired for years and I think it speeds up the game considerably. I personally don't like to hit with 2 strikes on me and no coutesy foul so the first one that's close to a strike and I'm swinging.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan

I've played and umpired for years and I think it speeds up the game considerably. I personally don't like to hit with 2 strikes on me and no coutesy foul so the first one that's close to a strike and I'm swinging.
But that's the misconception of many council members. It is not a speed-up rule. Quite often, the games are about the same time, but more runs are scored within that period.

We just want to get the $300 bats off the batter's shoulders.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Huh ?

Quote:

one of the proposed rule changes requires the UIC for a JO "B" National to carry a radar gun and periodically check the pitcher's speed to make sure the "B" pitchers aren't throwing the ball too fast...., changing the 10U rules to include a runner to score anytime the BR was awarded 1B with the bases loaded.

"B" status is not determined by "talent" level. Last time I checked with A, B, or C levels in Fastpitch softball the talent level never came to the table it was weather or not the team was "selected", "regional all-star team" or a "local" all-STAR team. True or False? Any chance that the individual that recommended this rule had his daughters team get beaten this past summer by a really "fast" pitcher in a "B" level game? Ok it has been awhile since I did any 10 & Under but I have to ask......When bases were loaded in the past and the BR walked or was awarded first base....did the runner that was at third just sorta....disappear?
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: Huh ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Quote:

one of the proposed rule changes requires the UIC for a JO "B" National to carry a radar gun and periodically check the pitcher's speed to make sure the "B" pitchers aren't throwing the ball too fast...., changing the 10U rules to include a runner to score anytime the BR was awarded 1B with the bases loaded.

"B" status is not determined by "talent" level. Last time I checked with A, B, or C levels in Fastpitch softball the talent level never came to the table it was weather or not the team was "selected", "regional all-star team" or a "local" all-STAR team. True or False? Any chance that the individual that recommended this rule had his daughters team get beaten this past summer by a really "fast" pitcher in a "B" level game? Ok it has been awhile since I did any 10 & Under but I have to ask......When bases were loaded in the past and the BR walked or was awarded first base....did the runner that was at third just sorta....disappear?
Really don't think anyone needs to worry about this one passing.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Huh ?

"Ok it has been awhile since I did any 10 & Under but I have to ask......When bases were loaded in the past and the BR walked or was awarded first base....did the runner that was at third just sorta....disappear?"

The current ASA rule (#8-4-H) for 10U reads:

"Runners can only score on:

a) a batted ball,

b) a base on balls or hit batter with the bases full, or,

c) on an awarded base when the ball goes:

1) out of play, or,

2) on an illegal pitch."

Specifically reading (b) above, it does say that runners can ONLY score in two situations with the bases full.

Can you think of another rule that awards the batter first base, which isn't covered here? I can think of at least one.

The proposed rule change- or, really more like a rule "re-wording"- would cover the other cicumstances where a batter being awarded first would force in run.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Lets Count Together :

a) a batted ball (1st Situation),

b) a base on balls (2nd Situation)or hit batter with the bases full (3rd Situation), or,

1) out of play (4th Situation), or,

2) on an illegal pitch (5th Situation)."

Specifically reading (b) above, it does say that runners can ONLY score in two situations (2,???)with the bases full.

Can you think of another rule that awards the batter first base, which isn't covered here? I can think of at least one. Catchers Obstruction( opps, interference I mean).
The proposed rule change- or, really more like a rule "re-wording"- would cover the other cicumstances where a batter being awarded first would force in run. [/B][/QUOTE] I agree it's a re-wording. I just was wondering what happens to the runner as it is written. Another example that (1) coaches are probally trying to take advantage of a "wording" issue and we are trying to "babysit" most of these same coaches by making the "wording" fool-proof. It isn't going to happen.

[Edited by Bandit on Oct 12th, 2005 at 02:26 PM]
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know when, where, or if, the wording of the POE's gets reviewed, but I sure hope they took out that silly statement in the POE that a fielder blocking the base without the ball was obstruction.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit - what happens is we send her home. Coaches don't know this is written wrong in the book.

If one did, we'd have to God-Rule her home, as this would be "a situation not covered by the rules".
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Have I been out of touch ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I don't know when, where, or if, the wording of the POE's gets reviewed, but I sure hope they took out that silly statement in the POE that a fielder blocking the base without the ball was obstruction.
Ok, guys I know that I have been out of touch for awhile and that I have probally missed a bunch and if I need to go back and review some old posts just let me know....but.....Dakota....are we being a little bit sarcastic...or am I missing something in your statement in it's rawest form "fielder blocking the base without the ball was obstruction". A fielder blocking the base WITHOUT the ball IS obstruction. In high school & ASA......"must have possesion". In NCAA...."about to receive". What am I missing ?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Lets Count Together :

Quote:

a) a batted ball (1st Situation),

b) a base on balls (2nd Situation)or hit batter with the bases full (3rd Situation), or,

1) out of play (4th Situation), or,

2) on an illegal pitch (5th Situation)."

Specifically reading (b) above, it does say that runners can ONLY score in two situations (2,???)with the bases full.

Can you think of another rule that awards the batter first base, which isn't covered here? I can think of at least one. Catchers Obstruction( opps, interference I mean).
The proposed rule change- or, really more like a rule "re-wording"- would cover the other cicumstances where a batter being awarded first would force in run.
I agree it's a re-wording. I just was wondering what happens to the runner as it is written. Another example that (1) coaches are probally trying to take advantage of a "wording" issue and we are trying to "babysit" most of these same coaches by making the "wording" fool-proof. It isn't going to happen.

[Edited by Bandit on Oct 12th, 2005 at 02:26 PM] [/B][/QUOTE]

#1. It IS catcher's obstruction
#2. This rule change was submitted because the previous wording restricted the advancement as it used the word "only" which would definitely cause consternation among some and I can see an umpire saying, "hey, your right!" and make the batter bat again.

I submitted this change as a direct result of discussion on this board.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit - a fielder in the basepath without the ball.. BY ITSELF is not obstruction.

A fielder in the basepath without the ball THAT HINDERS OR ALTERS THE PATH OF THE RUNNER is obstruction.

The POE ignores this VERY important piece of the puzzle, and leads people who read it (especially assistant coaches who don't actually look at the rule) to believe that the runner's actions are irrelevant to the case (or, in one case I had to deal with - the EXISTENCE of a runner is irrelevant - the guy insisted that this POE meant that fielders could not be in the basepaths AT ALL).
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Have I been out of touch ?

Quote:
A fielder blocking the base WITHOUT the ball IS obstruction.
No, it isn't... and I wasn't being sarcastic. mcrowder explained it.

See also my editorial here. (Sorry, guys, the site has not been updated in awhile.)

For a good example of the confusion this causes, see the ongoing discussion on the eteamz rules board (look for Sam).