The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   3 man mechanics question (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/22544-3-man-mechanics-question.html)

shipwreck Mon Oct 10, 2005 02:06pm

I have been reviewing 3 man mechanics for our State Tourney. Here is my question. I have been told if a base umpire goes out that you revert to a two man rotation, and I understand that. Runner on second base. Base ump goes out on a ball in the air. The 3 man says if one base ump goes out that the plate umpire will take the runner on second, to third and home. But in a straight 2 man, the base umpire would take the runner on second to third. Is this all correct and how many other situations are there that you don't in fact revert to a 2 man when a base umpire goes out on a fly in a 3 man? Dave

Andy Mon Oct 10, 2005 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by shipwreck
I have been reviewing 3 man mechanics for our State Tourney. Here is my question. I have been told if a base umpire goes out that you revert to a two man rotation, and I understand that. Runner on second base. Base ump goes out on a ball in the air. The 3 man says if one base ump goes out that the plate umpire will take the runner on second, to third and home. But in a straight 2 man, the base umpire would take the runner on second to third. Is this all correct and how many other situations are there that you don't in fact revert to a 2 man when a base umpire goes out on a fly in a 3 man? Dave
Maybe I'm missing something here, but in 2-man with a runner on second, the BU is in C position. On a fly ball to the outfield, the BU should be coming into the infield toward first to pick up the BR. R1 on second is the responsibility of the PU for tag up if the fly is caught and any potential play at third.

My 3-man mechanics are a little rusty, but I believe the play would be covered the same way if one of the base umpires went out on the fly ball.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Oct 10, 2005 04:04pm

Quote:

Speaking ASA, I don't believe that is correct.

The plate umpire will always take the lead runner in the two-umpire system, and the BU has the trailing runners. Same in three-umpire system.

shipwreck Mon Oct 10, 2005 05:47pm

ASA umpire manual says, runner on second base only - Field umpire - 4. On routine fly balls to the outfield, move into the infield to a position between the pitching rubber and the base line. You are responsible for the tag up of the runner, and after the ball is caught, follow the runner into third base.
I am not talking about a hit to the outfield but a fly ball to the outfield. Please help. Dave

whaddayouknow Mon Oct 10, 2005 07:29pm

3 man mechanics, runner on 2nd only, umpires are counter rotated, i.e. 3BU in D and 1BU in B. On a fly, if 1BU goes out, 3BU would come into the infield and watch R1's tag-up at 2nd base. If ball is caught, 3BU follows R1 to 3rd, with PU waiting at home for a play there. If ball is not caught, 3BU would 'release' R1 to PU who would have the call at third and 3BU would then have BU.

Of course if 3BU went out, then 1BU would have the base duties.

That's my understanding.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 11, 2005 06:42am

Quote:

ASA umpire manual says, runner on second base only - Field umpire - 4. On routine fly balls to the outfield, move into the infield to a position between the pitching rubber and the base line. You are responsible for the tag up of the runner, and after the ball is caught, follow the runner into third base.
I am not talking about a hit to the outfield but a fly ball to the outfield. Please help. Dave

Speaking ASA

That would be true, but only if the ball is caught. I see no reference to a catch or a tag-up situation in the original scenario.

shipwreck Tue Oct 11, 2005 08:49am

Sorry about that. I meant to post that the fly ball was caught. So in my original post, add "a fly ball that is caught". So now my original post could use an answer. Dave

AtlUmpSteve Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:54am

Now that you have clarified, the answer by Whaddayouknow is correct.