The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Just wanted to share this with everyone on this forum.After working two back to back Div.III college doubleheaders Tuesday and Wednesday,I had an unexpected,absolutely enjoyable Junior High game today.The game was played in 1 hour and 10 minutes(7 innings)with a 3-1 final score.Both pitchers pitched fantastic and these two classy well coached teams did all the fundamentals very well.While some guys complain about these lower level assignments,I look foward to doing these games.I enjoy umpiring all games and never turn back my junior high assignments.It was nice of both coaches to shake my hand after the game and thank me for my obvious interest in their game.They said they wished all thier umpires would be as proffessional and enthusiastic at their games.Just one of those comments that keeps a smile on your face the whole way home.

Jeff
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

The compliments from the losing team are always the best.......

I got complimented from a set of Grandparents of the losing team on Monday night.

Kinda makes you feel good.

My D#1's game ended after 1:15 (elapsed time) tonight and went a full 6 innings.........2-1 (we won).

Well pitched/well played game........kept all the girls excited the whole game.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 20th, 2001 at 08:12 AM]
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Tuesday I was "weathered" out of some college games, so I took a local JV game. Kids were pretty good, both sides played well for JV. My partner certainly showed why she only gets JV games. Calling pitches before they got to the batter, losing her hat the few times she did take her mask off, never coming out from behind the plate, ... She seemed to accept some of the helpful criticisms I gave, but her response was "This has been good enough for 12 years, when did they change all this?" Thought to myself 'less than a year's experience, 12 times'. I like to take a few JV games - no junior high programs around here - every now & then IF I can work with somebody new.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Steve,
Could that be why your "partner" is still doing JV games after 12 years?

We have a few umpires in our association that can't seem to understand why they dont get the varsity assignments even though they have seniority. They usually have that same reaction..."I've been doining it this way for x years....You don't have to know all those rules to call a game...These pants are closs enough to gray ....I can see 3rd base from over here, what do you mean "c"...ect"

Roger Greene,
Member UT

Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a semi-pro baseball game years ago with a partner like this. He put on his mask after the pregame conference, got behind the plate, and the next time the mask came off and he came out from behind the plate was when we went to the parking lot after the game.

Bob
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
...what do you mean "c"...ect"

Roger,
What do you mean "c"...ect"?
mick
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Roger,
A really funny part of this with her is that this partner I had for the JV game is an assistant AD at one of the local schools. I don't think she's far enough along to understand A or B, let alone C. Attitude seemed to be that she had the plate - ball/strike & fair/foul only - and everything else was mine. Oh well, really cold day, so all that moving helped to keep me warm.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
Umpires position on the field. Generally labled as A,B, or C with two man crews. If you go above two man you can add D, and so forth.

(It aint basketball. Ask Don about the 3 second running lane violation. {big G})

Roger (I really can get lost on the basketball court with a 3 man )Greene,
Member UT
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 01:55pm
In Memoriam

Smile Ooooooh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Mick,
Umpires position on the field. Generally labled as A,B, or C with two man crews. If you go above two man you can add D, and so forth.

(It aint basketball. Ask Don about the 3 second running lane violation. {big G})

Roger (I really can get lost on the basketball court with a 3 man )Greene,
Member UT
Roger,
I understand. You meant "c" ...etc.( not ...ect) I thought you were swearing or somethiing.
Yeah, I've worked "D" before, ...not one of my favorites, but a good place to watch the game.
mick