The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

All-
Good morning. I am a first time poster although I have viewed this board quite often.
I have a question about a ruling in a championship game in which I played last night. I protested but I want to make sure I have a leg to stand on...
USSSA rules
Bases empty.
Batter hits a pop up to the pitcher. B-R begins to run to first base. F1 attempts to make a play about 1/2 way down the line. F1 is standing in fair territory about 5 feet away from the B-R when the ball hits his glove, then hits the ground, then hits the runner. PU rules that the batter is out based on 8.4.A - B-R is out when he comes into contact with a batted ball.

My contention is that once the fielder comes into contact with the ball and re-directs it into the runner, the runner should not be out, although I cannot find the specific rule that would apply.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

well I don't have an USSSA book but ASA if I read it right says they are out.
8-2-F when a batter-runner interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball........, makes contact with a fair batted ball before reaching first base

so from that I would think they are out.

Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Here we are back to the deflected ball issue again. The BR is not out for contact with the ball as such once "the ball hits his glove". Whether the BR or any other runner interferes with a fielder trying to field a deflected ball is a question we've discussed repeatedly with no firm resolution. Most of us seem to accept the "step and reach" theory, although it's not in any softball rule book I've seen or heard about.

For anyone new, the "step and reach" theory is that if the deflected ball is still within the reach of the fielder, even if one step is needed, the runner may not interfere with the ball or fielder. But if the deflected ball is further away and contacts the runner, it is not interference.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, it's no longer a batted ball. F1 MUFFED the ball. The muffed ball contacted the BR. If F1 no longer had a play, no interference. From the description of the play, I would rule that way.

Bob
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
I agree with Zebra but I don't know that there is a softball definition for a muffed ball (football, ok). However, whether you call it muffed or dropped, a play was made on the ball and, as long as there is not other defensive player in a position to make a play I have no call. However if the catcher, or second baseman, or anyone else is in the vacinity of the play and can make a play with reasonable effort, I have interference.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure you really got your answer. "PU rules that the batter is out based on 8.4.A - B-R is out when he comes into contact with a batted ball."

PU is wrong, and you would win this protest. If this is the sole reason he ruled the runner out, he was wrong.

However, interference with the opportunity COULD have been a factor, and if the umpire ruled interference, this is all judgement and you have nothing to hang your hat on.

Your protest relies SOLELY on whether he sticks with his explanation of why the out was called.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Is it my imagination, or did this thread take a hard left away from the offered play?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I thought we just widened the road

But I guess the reason mook11 can't find a rule that says "once the fielder comes into contact with the ball and re-directs it into the runner, the runner should not be out" is that the rules say when there is INT, not when there isn't INT.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dejavuyou Send a message via Yahoo to dejavuyou
In my opinon, you'd be safe.

Consider the scenario where the fielder throws that ball to first and hits you instead.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

NSA/USSSA rules that once the ball is touched by the fielder the ball is no longer a batted ball.

But as one poster said, it wil all depend on if he sticks to his original story as to why he calle them out!!

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mook11

USSSA rules

PU rules that the batter is out based on 8.4.A - B-R is out when he comes into contact with a batted ball.
First off, there is no USSSA rule 8.4.A.

The USSSA rule the PU makes reference to is 9.18.M, the rule reads "Any runner is out when, A fair-batted ball contacts him before it touches an infielder, or after it passes any infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire judges another infielder has a play".

Sounds as if the PU got it wrong all the way around, the rule, the rule number, and the rule interpretation. Just take the USSSA rule book with you, and unless the umpire did not see the pitcher touch the ball, then you should win the protest.

GaryB