The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ball drops after passing hip. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/21748-ball-drops-after-passing-hip.html)

Rattlehead Mon Aug 15, 2005 01:32pm

Had a situation a couple of weeks ago that has bugged me since it happened.

I was BU and pitcher attempted to deliver the ball but on two occations attempted to stop (after hand had passed the hip) the delivery and at the end just dropped the ball.

Is this and illeagal pitch?

Or is this under rule definition under section rule 6 section 11 a dropped ball.

The reason I ask is that the UIC on both occations went up to the PU and told him it was a illegal pitch and forced them to award a ball and bases.

JEL Mon Aug 15, 2005 02:29pm

You said ..."attempted to stop....dropped the ball". The attempted to stop part was where the IP was, not the dropping of the ball. The 6-11 type dropped ball would be with all other aspects of the delivery done correctly.

UIC was correct, although IMO he should not have forced the change in ruling while the game was in progress, (unless of course a protest was lodged).

U of M Sam Mon Aug 15, 2005 07:08pm

Illegal pitch on both occassions.
Penalty:
NFHS: Ball to batter and advance runner(s) 1 base
Little League: Ball to batter, no advance of runner(s)
Not sure under which rules game was being played.

IMO: The UIC should not have made ruling during game, on either pitch, unless asked prior to next pitch or unless game was to be protested prior to next pitch (as I understand)

Sam

Mountaineer Mon Aug 15, 2005 09:42pm

I agree with Sam on the UIC thing.

I actually would take it a step farther and say that IMO he was out of line to "force" him to make a call. Would that same UIC come onto the field and overrule the PU on an out call that he missed?

If he would have done that to me - hmmmmmmmmm . . . there would have been trouble. It might have been an illegal pitch (and according to your description - it was), but by neither one of you calling it such - it has to have been ruled a "drop". So the PU missed the call - life goes on. It's not the UIC's job to step in and correct that.

Dakota Tue Aug 16, 2005 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rattlehead
The reason I ask is that the UIC on both occations went up to the PU and told him it was a illegal pitch and forced them to award a ball and bases.

Sounds like the PU was a little slow on the uptake. ;)

Assumng it had been me behind the plate, and assuming I remained on the field after the first breach of protocol by the UIC, I would have loudly called "According to the UIC, that there was an illegal pitch." Then, let him handle the mess! J/K ... maybe ;)

mcrowder Wed Aug 17, 2005 08:26am

Unless UIC was also the BU, you have a huge problem here. I've been UIC on numerous occasions where I've witnessed umpire mistakes, but you HAVE to hold your tongue. Tell them afterward if you must. But DON'T get involved in the game unless A) it's protested, and B) your protest procedures for that particular game include you.